Mar 3 2011, 15:04
Okay, here's another attempt at an idea. Here are artists that I discovered so completely by chance that it must have been FATE. (yes)
- Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer: I saw one of their albums at Tower Record's closing sale, thought it looked cute and decided to check them out SOLELY from that. I ended up loving them ^__^
- Chromeo: I was reading the blog of Carl Greenblatt (the creator of Chowder ^_^) and he posted about these fellows. I loved their album cover and I thought "these fellows look like someone I should check out!" and so I did, and I loved them, and now they are like super stars wheeee.
- Dragonette: Kenny, of Kenny vs. Spenny was selling some t-shirts with his face on them (which I wish I got one D: ) and the myspace page of the store selling them had a Dragonette song playing (as the store primarily sells band merch), and I instantly fell in love with them.
- Clem Snide: I tuned into Conan one night, about 10 years ago, and caught literally the last 5-10 seconds of their performance. I barely heard anything, but from what I did, I thought "I need to hear more of these guys" and so I checked them out, and they remain to be one of my favorite bands. Probably helped that Eef is not difficult to look at :D
- Company of Thieves: I recall they had a commercial that was played on Adult Swim maybe ONCE about their new album, and I only sorta paid attention. Then shortly after, I opened Quicktime and saw a promo for one of their music videos in that promo box that opens if you start up the program without opening a file. Anyway, I was interested because of the Rushmore theme, but I ended up loving the song, too, and I ended up loving the rest of their songs as well :D
- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: WHAT A CLASSIC STORY OF TWELVE YEAR OLD GIRL SEES GUY WHO IS 30+ YEARS OLDER THAN HER AND INSTANTLY FALLS IN LOVE ^___^ But yes, not that anyone else will read this, but for posterity: I was watching MTV (or VH1) as a kid, which was not something I normally did, and I remembered the VJ introducing the video, and he said something like, "This dude got so into recording this song that he punched a hole in the wall at the studio!!" I am probably misremembering exactly what he said, but I know it had to do with punching a hole in the wall. I'm PRETTY SURE he was talking about Tom and not some other artist, but who knows :D Anyway, then I watched the video for "You Wreck Me" and the scene where he gets out of the car = <33333
- Bishop Allen: I was trying to look up information about one of my favorite VH1 reality shows, Charm School, and in doing so, I found the wiki page for the band's album of the same name :D And that is how I discovered them.
- Hard n' Phirm: For some reason, I was looking for Chipmunk songs on youtube, and I found a chipmunk version of their Pi song, and thought it was awesome, and checked out the rest of their stuff from there!
- Fitz & the Tantrums: Amazon offered one of their mp3s for free, and BEST EVER SAMPLING EVER I LOVVVVE THMMMMMMMMM
- Archers of Loaf: Ok, I mainly only like one song of theirs ("Web in Front") but I love it so much that I feel they deserve a mention. I went to a webstore for some girly accessory brand, and they had a music player, and this was the first song on their playlist. Instantly loved it.
- Janelle Monae: Graham Linehan posted a video on his blog of her on David Letterman, and she impressed me very much.
- Young Money: Ok, so I was aware of WEEZY, but did not know any of his songs, and I still don't. hahah but anyway, Bust posted about this music video for some reason, and I was like "HAY THAT'S A GREAT POP SONG" the end
- The Beautiful Losers: Mandi's acquaintance played the music video to "Fairweather Friend" because apparently he knows them/made their website etc. and while none of their other songs jumped out at me, I LOVE this song. Love. And wtf at it NOT BEING AVAILABLE ANYWHERE BUT YOUTUBE. sigh. oh well.
ok, I've gone through 10 pages of top artists and I'm starting to have a harder time finding artists to list, so I guess it is time to conclude this post.
ps- OMG I LOVE LAST.FM for putting a "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO NAVIGATE AWAY FROM THIS PAGE?" script on their journal composition pages ;____;