Every so often, I have something to do and I don't want to do it. Have run out of tv shows to watch, don't want to leave computer to read, so my option for procrastinating: this! Yay. :-)
1. What's your favorite song by 15?Jason Mraz
- First off, The Remedy (I Won't Worry)
(I remember loving it as a kid), but recently I'm Yours
because it's so damn sweet. You can't fight that!
2. How did you get into 20?John Hiatt
- either by getting the CD out from the library or through last.fm, I forget which. Doesn't matter: the man is brilliant.
3. Who is your favorite member in 1?Gordon Lightfoot
- and the winner is... Well, him. :-)
4. What’s your favorite lyric bit by 29?Christina Aguilera
- I don't want to stop listening to Hans Zimmer so I can refresh my memory! Ummmm... The obvious: "You're beautiful, in every single way."
5. What's your favorite album from 10?U2
- I am definitely not enough of a fan to answer this. Maybe The Joshua Tree
7. Do you own any merchandise from 3?Ellis Paul
- no, and I don't think he's the kind of guy to do merchandise. Too earnest.
8. What is a good memory you have of 7?Hans Zimmer
- watching Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom wave swords around!
9. Is there a member of the same age as you in 2?Francis Cabrel
- he's more the same age as my Dad. :-)
10. When did you first get into 8?Iron & Wine
- when I was staying with Dad. He had The Shepherd's Dog
and wouldn't stop playing it: eventually it rubbed off.
11. Who likes 4 along with you?Runrig
- lots of Germans! And my little sister.
12. Which song did you first hear from 16?Disney
- o.o The first Disney movie I ever saw... Ummm... Opening credits to... Bambi?
13. What song made you fall in love with 5?Josh Ritter
- ooh, good question. Josh Ritter's another one of Dad's finds, but I couldn't stand him for years. The one song that eventually got through was To the Dogs or Whoever
, which kept coming up on shuffle. It has a jangly guitar bit at the start and a quick beat, with enough wierdness not to get boring: it converted me.
14. Which song do you not like by 18?J. J. Cale
for narrow-minded anti-brain-poisoning reasons (even though the music I love), or maybe Crazy Mama
for getting on my nerves!
15. Why do you like 14's songs?Ron Sexsmith
- they're so warm and honest, very mellow, poetic but not pretentious (I don't think). Beautiful.
16. Where did you first hear 6?Jesse Cook
was on a compilation CD I heard a lot growing up, but maybe three years ago I went nuts and dug up everything of his I could find. He's amazing, an incredibly talented guitarist.
17. How long was 19 a singer before you liked them?Adiemus
- is actually thirty singers, so I'm guessing quite a long time if you add it up.
18. Does 13 have a song that gives you a bad memory?Sarah McLachlan
- not exactly, but there are a lot of melancholy songs in there!
19. When did you get into 17?Ludovico Einaudi
- I heard I giorni
through classical radio here, I think, and fell in love. He's amazing.
20. How long have you been into 9?Ray LaMontagne
- he's been hanging around on 'similar artists' for ages, but it's only in the last few months that I've really started to appreciate him.
21. If 11 had a concert 300 miles away, would you drive there to see them?David Gray
- ummm, no. Not that I don't like him - I do! But no.
22. How many CDs do you own of 12?Yann Tiersen
- just the one, but it's authentically French so that makes it better.
23. Does 21 have a song that makes you cry?Clint Black
- don't think so: he's too little-boy-grin, black-cowboy-hat cute (even with the heartachey country lyrics).
24. Does 27 have a song that makes you happy?Ian Tyson
- hell yeah! I've inherited a passion for open spaces and damn does cowboy romance satisfy that. There's Claude Dallas
, which despite being about a murderer has references to bobcats and mustangs and other wonderful things, or The Gift
, where a guy gets to paint sunsets for God (that would be so fun), or the one where the big strong stallion carries a man through a snowstorm to get help for his wife as she gives birth, and lots more. Always happy. No unhappy. *grins*
25. Does 23 have a song that makes you smile?The Black Seeds
- and again, hell yes. Bouncy beach music and laid-back kiwi groove, can't go wrong with that. :-) Good People (Get Together)
is probably my favourite.
26. What's the last song you've listened to from 28?John Mayer
, but I can't remember what it sounds like. I know I like it.
27. Is there a song by 32 that you've listened to more than 30 times?Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- nope. Into the Great Wide Open
comes closest (15).
30. What song got you into 40?William Fitzsimmons
- oh, easy. It was Passion Play
. I think the same thing's happened to quite a few people: it's the kind of song that takes your breath away.
31. What is your favorite single by 25?Bruce Springsteen
- I'm on Fire
. I've always liked it. There's a kind of raw power there, and pain - it feels at times like you're splitting your heart in two. Great. :-)
32. If 49 hated you, what would you do?Perry Como
- giggle, and be silently unnerved. It would be like your grandmother hating you. :-S
33. What would you say if 42 or one of the members from 42 asked you out?Bob Dylan
- thank him and tactfully suggest that he redirects his attentions toward my former English teacher (a huge fan).
34. Would you care if 41 had a boyfriend/girlfriend?Train
- I think they're all married, so in interests of the betterment of humanity I would prefer that they didn't.
35. Who has the best voice in 46?Royal Wood
- is one man, so him.
36. Do you think 26 is/are good looking?Rob Thomas
- not super-duper good-looking (how long has it been since I used the word 'super-duper'?), but I suppose if I was in love with him he'd become Adonis pretty quick.
37. How many times have you listened to your favorite song by 36?The Mission
- 28 times on iTunes (Dragonfly
, only partially scrobbled - it's the happiest song I could find by them)
38. How many CDs do you own of 30?Engelbert Humperdinck
- none. Nana's got one! When did I last buy a CD?
39. Is there a song from 38 that makes you mad?Josh Groban
- *giggles* depending on the mood... but more irritated than mad. He'd have to start insulting the audience or demonising someone to make me actually mad, and I can't see that happening.
40. Which member from 31 do you want to see go solo? If 31 is only one artist, what would you do if they joined a group?Joe Purdy
- if he joined a group, I'd clap my hands and start listening.
41. What does your favorite song from 48 remind you of?The Seekers
- The Gypsy Rover (The Whistling Gypsy)
. First, it reminds me of Mum when I was little, making bran muffins and getting annoyed when my little sister and I left our toy ponies in the hallway. Second, the chorus (which I still know off by heart: "The whistling gypsy came over the hill, down to the valley so shady. He whistled and he sang til the green woods rang, and he won the heart of a lady") makes me get all little-girl happy and want my own handsome gypsy prince.
42. Did you hate 43 at first?John Williams
- I was completely indifferent. Star Wars. *shrug* But there's that other John Williams, who's a guitarist, who I quite liked, and the brilliant big dramatic evil theme for Darth Vader - that kicks butt.
43. Does your best friend also listen to 33?Queen
- she'll know all the songs, but she's on a bit of an electro-DJ kick at the moment.
44. Do you think your parents would like 37?Alan Jackson
- I know they would, because they do and that's why I do and it's all their fault!
45. Does 47 have a song that makes you want to dance?The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
- only if I knew honkytonk. Why don't I know honkytonk?
47. Do you like 44's name?Joseph Arthur
- it's a fine name. Bit hard to type, though: I keep writing 'Jospeh'.
48. Is there someone in 45 that you want to go out with?Mark Knopfler
- he's a bit like my Dad, so not really.
49. Do you know anyone that hates 39?Dar Williams
- how could you?
50. Have you ever danced to a song from 35?Afro Celt Sound System
- no, but it wouldn't be hard!X