1. ayumi hamasaki
- It's surprising to me that she's #1 this year, because I always used to hate her music. I guess the problem was that I never gave her a chance. Her music is wonderful. She blends all types of music in perfectly amazing ways. Her voice is something to hear, but it's undoubtedly very powerful and full of spirit. Her lyrics and the honesty she puts forth really connect with me and a lot of people, so that's why she's been my favorite this year.
First Song I Heard: Endless Sorrow
Favorite Song(s) So Far: A Song For XX (030213 Session #2)
, YOU "northern breeze", Depend on you (10th Anniversary version), Trust (new vocal and mix), POWDER SNOW (Acoustic Orchestra Ver.), FRIEND II (MAKE MY MAD MIX), A Song for xx (Dub's loverdub mix), TO BE "2003 ReBirth Mix", monochrome, End roll, LOVE ~refrain~, Who..., kanariya, appears (Acoustic Orchestra Ver.), vogue, Far away, SEASONS "2003 ReBirth Mix", SURREAL, Duty (Acoustic Orchestra Ver.), Key ~eternal tie ver.~, M (Acoustic Orchestra Ver.)
, M (SMOKERS MIX), evolution, NEVER EVER (Laugh & Peace Mix), Endless sorrow, Dearest (Acoustic Orchestra Ver.), I am..., Endless sorrow ~gone with the wind ver.~, HANABI, Voyage, RAINBOW, HANABI ~Episode II~, No way to say, Memorial Address
, Moments, GAME, CAROLS, About You, Humming 7/4, STEP you, HEAVEN (Piano Version), alterna, Pride, (miss)understood, Startin', Ladies Night ~another night~, BLUE BIRD, 1 LOVE, until that Day..., JEWEL, kiss o' kill, Secret, fated (Orchestra Ver.), talkin' 2 myself, decision, (don't) leave me alone, GUILTY, Together When...
, Marionette, Mirrorcle World (basically, a whole lot of her shit)
Favorite Album(s): LOVEppears, Duty, A BEST, I am..., A BALLADS, Memorial address, (miss)understood, GUILTY
2. Pink Floyd
- I started listening to their music over the summer and I found that they were constantly playing everywhere I went. I like how a lot of their albums really succeed in conveying whatever feeling they wish to convey utilizing the instruments and the lyrics of each song. The best example of this is Animals, in my opinion. There's not much more I can say about this band that hasn't already been said! :)
First Song I Heard: Another Brick In The Wall
Favorite Song(s) So Far: Comfortably Numb
Favorite Album(s): Animals
, The Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Obscured By Clouds
3. Utada Hikaru - She's still one of my favorite artists even after all this time! I've found that I often shuffle through my music very quickly, but Utada is among the few I listen to on a pretty regular basis. Now that she's been a top artist on my iPod + iTunes for a while, I realize that I love Utada so much because of the way she so beautifully harmonizes R&B with Rock, Pop and even experimental instruments. Her latest efforts have always been full of intriguing music.
First Song I Heard: First Love
Favorite Song(s) So Far: Another Chance
, Automatic, B&C, Can You Keep A Secret?, Distance, ドラマ, 蹴っ飛ばせ!, HAYATOCHI-REMIX, SAKURA ドロップス, traveling, Deep River
, プレイ・ボール, 東京NIGHTS, FINAL DISTANCE, 光
, Keep Tryin', Makin' Love, 日曜の朝, WINGS, BLUE, 誰かの願いが叶うころ, COLORS, Be My Last, Passion, HEART STATION, Kiss & Cry, Beautiful World, Stay Gold, テイク5, Flavor Of Life (i.e. a hell of a lot)
Favorite Album(s): First Love, Distance, Deep River
, Ultra Blue, Heart Station
4. Amy Winehouse
- Although her life has made it a little hard to listen to her music without it becoming too real, I enjoy Amy Winehouse very much. I fell into a slump last winter and Amy was there going through it with me, so her music is meaningful. Her lyrics and her unique vocals and compositions are just sublime.
First Song I Heard: Rehab
Favorite Song(s) So Far: Stronger Than Me, You Sent Me Flying, I Heard Love Is Blind, Moody's Mood For Love, (There Is) No Greater Love, Take the Box
, Help Yourself, Amy, Amy, Amy, You Know I'm No Good, Me & Mr. Jones, Just Friends, Back To Black, Love Is a Losing Game
, Wake Up Alone, Some Unholy War, Addicted
Favorite Album(s): Frank, Back To Black
5. Guns N' Roses
- I've recently begun to love their music a lot! I just like their fast and harsh sound and the roughness in Axl's voice. Basically, this band is fucking amazing. The lyrics are awesome and blunt and the songs never fail to wow me.
First Song I Heard: Welcome To The Jungle
Favorite Song(s) So Far: Welcome To The Jungle, Paradise City, You're Crazy, Used To Love Her, Live And Let Die, Sympathy For The Devil
, Shackler's Revenge
Favorite Album(s): Apetite for destruction
, Use Your Illusion I, Use Your Illusion II
- This band is amazing. Every single member of the band contributes significantly to the band and you can hear everyone's different styles in every song and album. Ken's bass playing is the most notable, as well as Tetsu's guitar playing. Yukihiro's drums are always wonderfully crazy and unstoppable and, of course, Hyde's voice is still just as enchanting and heart melting as it's always been.
First Song I Heard: READY STEADY GO
Favorite Song(s) So Far: Shutting from the Sky, Dune, 失われた眺め, In the Air, All Dead, Wind of Gold, Blurry Eyes, 夏の憂鬱, 静かの海で, Fare Well, Caress of Venus, Lies & Truth, I Wish, 虹, HEAVEN'S DRIVE, 真実と幻想と, HONEY, 花葬, 浸食 -lose control-, LOVE FLIES, finale, STAY AWAY, TIME SLIP
, 接吻, READY STEAY GO, Feeling Fine, Coming Closer, 永遠, 瞳の住人, 叙情詩, As One, twinkle, twinkle, Seventh Heaven, MY HEART DRAWS A DREAM, Daybreak's Bell, 海辺, Link, 雪の足跡, DRINK IT DOWN, Dune 2008
Favorite Album(s): Dune, Tierra, heavenly, True, HEART, ark, ray, REAL
, SMILE, AWAKE, KISS
7. Mika Nakashima
- This girl is like the perfect blend of Amy Winehouse, Led Zeppelin and L'Arc~en~Ciel, yet she still has her own unique style that is just really magnificent. Her voice has that smoky, dark and gloomy feature that always draws me to her songs.
First Song I Heard: GLAMOROUS SKY
Favorite Song(s) So Far: TEARS, Helpless Rain
, WILL, 愛してる (Album Version), Love Addict
, 接吻, FIND THE WAY, 雪の華 (Silent Version)
, 火の鳥, 桜色舞うころ (Acoustic), 蜘蛛の糸,Fake
, Fed up, EYES FOR THE MOON, MY MEDICINE
, ISOLATION, BLOOD
, 一色 (ALTanative), BLACK & BLUE, ALL HANDS TOGETHER, MY SUGAR CAT, 見えない星, DANCE WITH THE DEVIL, LIFE, 永遠の詩
Favorite Album(s): LØVE, 朧月夜 - 祈り, MUSIC, THE END, YES
8. Led Zeppelin
- How could I not include them? They're the most recent band I've started to love, but their one of the most amazing artists I've ever had the pleasure to hear. They're special, because I usually love their albums in their entirety, although there are definitely songs that stand out a lot.
First Song Heard: Stairway To Heaven
Favorite Song(s): Good Times Bad Times
, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, You Shook Me, Dazed and Confused
, Your Time Is Gonna Come
, I Can't Quit You Baby, Whole Lotta Love, The Lemon Song, Thank You
, Stairway To Heaven
Favorite Album(s): Led Zeppelin I
, II, III, IV