Put your music player on shuffle. Post the first 40 songs that come up. You can repeat artists if you want. If you have any repeats, skip to the next track.
1. Stuck in a Rut - Stereophonics 2. Faraway - Supergrass 3. Sin - Megadeth 4. Smithers-Jones - the Jam 5. Start the Show - JET 6. This is a Low (Live) - Blur 7. Astronomy - Blue Oyster Cult 8. M.O.R. - Blur 9. I'm Lost Without You - blink-182 10. Just Looking - Stereophonics 11. Learnt My Lesson Well - Kaiser Chiefs 12. Heavy Soul Pt. 1 - Paul Weller 13. Blame The Gypos - The Jinx 14. Who Let You Go? - The Killers 15. Sun and Steel - Iron Maiden 16. Roll It Over - Oasis 17. One Vision - Queen 18. Planet Earth (Single Version) - Duran Duran 19. Lovebug (New Version) - Ian Brown 20. Mistress Mabel - The Fratellis 21. You Do Something To Me - Paul Weller 22. The World Needs a Hero - Megadeth 23. Sneaker - Ash 24. Oily Water - Blur 25. Lets All Go Down the Strand - Blur 26. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath 27. You've Got Mail Enhancement - Psyhostick 28. Theme From Retro - Blur 29. She-Wolf - Megadeth 30. Hangover - Blur 31. March or Die - Motorhead 32. The Hammer- Motorhead 33. All Your Life - Blur 34. Bleeding Me - Metallica 35. The Wait - Metallica 36. Song 2 (Live) - Blur 37. Summers End - Foo Fighters 38. The Changing Man - Paul Weller 39. Stay In Love Forever - Ash 40. It's Your Turn - The Who
_______________ - Which song do you prefer, #1 or #40? 1. Stuck in a Rut - Stereophonics
- Have you ever listened to #12 continuously on repeat? Lol no.
- What album is #26 from? Sabbath Blood Sabbath
- What do you think about the artist who did #15? The best metal band from this country.
- Is #19 one of your favourite songs? Nope.
- Who does #38 remind you of? Paul Weller? Um, an older Noel Gallagher with less talent and no brother to rough him up :P
- Does #20 have better lyrics or music? music.
- Do any of your friends like #3? Iain geeze.
- Is #33 from a movie soundtrack? Don't think so.
- Is #18 overplayed on the radio? Not from what I hear. May have been in the 80's
- What does #21 remind you of? Sex.
- Which song do you prefer, #5 or #22? #22 The World Needs a Hero - Megadeth. Both good songs though.
- What album is #17 from? I wouldn't be able to say :/ not a big queen fan and have this song in my libary from a compilation CD.
- When did you first hear #39? I think it was late 2009ish, wasn't really a fan of the song but then, but it's growing on me now.
- When did you first hear #7? When I bought the BOC best of Album in early 2008.
- What genre is #8? Alternative? :S
- Do any of your friends like #14? No.
- What colour does #4 remind you of? Grey/Black (because of the album cover)
- Have you ever blasted #11 on your stereo? I think I did when I was pissed in the 06-07 era.
- What genre is #37? Alternative (ahaaaaaa) yeah but seriously, rock is too general, it's certainly not metal and it's not indie.
- Can you play #13 on any instrument? Nah, can't play it on any instrument. I's like to maybe give it a go on guitar, but finding just the lyrics of this song on the internet is near-impossible.
- What is your favorite lyric from #30? I don't even know how this song goes at the moment.
- What is your favorite lyric from #23? IDK :|
- Would you recommend #24 to your friends? Only a select one or two. It's nothing special though.
- Is #2 a good song to dance to? Prolly
- Do you ever hear #16 on the radio? Think I may have done before.
- Is #32 more of a "nighttime" or "daytime" song? Night time. Metal in the day? NOT ALLOWED.
- Does #36 have any special meaning to you? Only that it reminds me of Fifa 98, when I was a kid.
- Do any of your friends like #31?. Iain loves it.
- Is #25 a fast or slow song? I'd guess slow.
- Is #35 a happy or sad song? Angry/sad prolly.
- What is one of your favorite lyrics from #9? Just read the title...
- Is #34 better to listen to alone or with friends? On your own.
- When did you first hear #27? It was around this time last year :]
- Name 3 other songs by the artist who did #29: Hangar 18 Holy Wars... The Punishment Due Tornado Of Souls
This is somewhat music related. I feel the need to dwell upon my incredibly tedious search for rare music after finding my own kind of 'work', whilst being on a lengthy break from the real thing. I don't earn money this way, but in other ways, it actually pays ;] This is why this week's counters are high and next week, they'll probably plummet back to normality.
You know how it goes... You search for a video on Youtube (mine was Zero Hour mods related) and before you know it, you've clicked on half a dozen 'related' video links and you end up watching something completely different to what you were after to begin with. Regardless, I stumbled upon some videos of Tiberian Dawn (the very first C&C) and the memories came flooding back. I can't remember why exactly I decided to then go in persuit of the music from the C&C games, but I did. I've spent the best part of 2 days searching relentlessly for these tracks. The ones that bring back childhood memories, in particular, Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Dawn. At 7:30pm of today, I think I've sorted out the good tracks from the bad out of all the C&C's from Yuri's Revenge or older.
Anyone who may have come across my profile in the last 2 days might have good reason to believe I have been hacked or actually found an artist capable of having me listen to them album after album in it's entirety. You'd be wrong. These songs bring back all kinds of memories for me. The artist to most of these tracks, as far as I'm aware are the work of Frank Klepacki. I've heard different video games in the C&C series would have different artists and whatnot, but I don't think I can be too picky when it comes to scrobbling. Besides, it would be easier to type in just one name and have all the same kind of tracks there to be listened to if and when I want to listen to C&C soundtracks. One track I did pick up that I found out for sure was not by Frank, was Destructible Times, by the French band 'I AM' NOT to be confused with a French Hip Hop band IAM. It's a shame 'I AM' were very small and not very popular, because this song has a lot of potential. It's the song which is played during the credits of the Nod ending on the original C&C.
Have a listen:
I downloaded the entire Red Alert 2 & Tiberian Dawn sound track and also the odd hand-picked songs from Retalitation, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun and Yuri's Revenge. If anyone is interested in any track from any C&C game, let me know and I can get them for you. =]
Time for the timeline of C&C in my eyes, and a rant thrown in here and there for good measure.
Command and Conquer (PS1, in my case. Also reffered to as Tiberian Dawn). I think it was around '97, I first came across this game at a friends house. Got some money for my birthday and bought my own copy. It all started from there really. Don't know many people who dislike the game. I love the feel of this game as far as realism and involvement goes. The characters in the game actually seem to take the whole thing seriously. Despite the absence of a skirmish mode, this did have great replay value and being a child at the time, I managed to carelessly break it =( flimsy CDs... I much preffered cartridges; they were indestructable. After a while (we're talking years later now) I saved up the money, purcahsed a new copy and have it in perfect nick to this very day. I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice =P
Red Alert/Retaliation. I loved the first one, so of course I was going to buy the 2nd. We started off with Retaliation for PS1. At first, I was very dissapointed. My 8 or 9 year old mind couldn't figure out the new sidebar. At least for a couple of goes. This C&C added skirmish mode and multiplayer into the mix. Whilst not one of my favourite C&C's, I did spend days of my childhood just playing this game. When the time came to move along, I traded it in for what I thought was a completely different C&C game (Red Alert). To this day, Ted, I thank you for selling me a watered down version of a game I sold you at a fraction of the price, because karma is indeed a bitch and that is why you went out of business ;D (remember I was only 8 years old at the time... No surprise I got ripped off). I have no idea where that copy is today, but I purchased a new copy of Retaliation some years back, which is still in good nick today. I came across a PC version of RA in a jumble sale some years back, and still have that in good nick too. I think the last time I played it was January/December time.
Tiberian Sun. This game made me hugely popular in primary school :D I remember asking for it for christmas one year and I gots it d('-^). For some reason, though, I can't help but feel a little disappointed about it. Maybe it was EA's interference with the product's development, I don't know. This wouldn't be in my top 3 C&C's though. I remember the skirmishes taking hours. It was only available on one format (PC... My first PC C&C). It was too futuristic for my liking. Still, as a C&C, it was still great to play and yeah, I'd say I love it. Though I never actually managed to complete it =( yet... I did manage to beat Firestorm with ease. That was not a game I had played 'till late 2006 though when my younger brother bought the first decade and therefore, the soundtracks didn't exactly allow childhood memories to flood back. Infact, I played Firestorm so little that I can't remember a single song from it. That's not to say it was a bad game though. Tiberian Sun is what many fanboys view as the last stand against the franchise-destroying EA. RIP Westwood.
Red Alert 2/Yuris Revenge. My favourite game in the whole C&C series. Probably because I kicked so much ass online. This game to me was like the great modes of Tiberian Sun but all the tweaks worked out entirely... things were made more simple and easier to understand. It now included a navy! My early teens were wasted spent playing this game. The RA2 soundtrack to me does it much better than the YR soundtrack. Not just because the music quality, but the fact that YR only had about 6 tracks that played over and over and over and over and overrrrrr....... >_______O I got very sick of most of them, but I have picked up a few for old times sake. This game was the beginning of the end for a lot of fans. In some cases, it was the end. Looking at it realistically though, they did make a lot of things too cartoony, I mean... Giant Squids? Pfft :/
I picked up no music from the C&C's from here onwards, but I'll talk about each game, since I'm on a roll.
Generals/Zero Hour. I bought this game on the day of its release, then being 13 and having a job. I didn't actually have a computer powerful enough to play this game though, until 2005, after I left high school. Only one of my friends had a computer powerful enough, so I let him borrow it most of the time =P When the time came and we got a half decent PC, I wasn't too impressed at first. The storyline and gameplay were all completely new. It took a while, but eventually it had me cracked and I loved it to bits. I'd rate Zero Hour as maybe joint 2nd with the original C&C as the best. By the time I had it all up and working, buying the ZH expansion meant buying the original Generals aswell in the 'deluxe' pack. I still have that copy to this day =]. One thing that I like about this game, which makes it stand out from all the others is the fact that tank spamming is no longer a sure fire winning strategy. Because of the artillery, tactics and new superweapons, it all had to be thought out more clearly. This is probably why it took a while for me to adjust to playing online when compared to what I used to experience online with RA2 + YR. I play this game quite often these days, though I've found I have an on-off relationship with it =P about 2 months of playing will be followed by 8 - 12 months of letting it gather dust.
C&C 3. This had me excited in ways because the C&C series was returning to non-PC formats. I really enjoyed the C&C's off the PC. Found them more conveniant to play. This however, to me was the end of good C&C's. It had playablity, but overall, I felt it had gone backwards. At the same time, it had progressed with this now destroyed futuristic GDI + Nod stroyline. I loved the Tiberium story back when it seemed modern day... Mecha robots and aliens were too much for me. It was becoming Star Trekk. I got through the GDI campaign, being a GDI fan... I even have a GDI shirt haha :'D (I got it free because I made the mistake of pre-ordering this game). It had no longivity... I never really played it much after that. I did however buy the game on 360 when it became cheap. I think I was just trying to CPR this series... Seeing if playing it on a console would revive some life back into it for me, but it didn't really :/ Kane's Wrath wasn't worth buying judging from my mediocre experience of this game. Maybe when it costs pennies and I buy another 360, I'll get it for the collection's sake. +1 for the option of choosing what kind of strategy the AI may use though.
Red Alert 3. Command and Conquer had by now become to me something similar to a relative on hard drugs; I still loved it, but I hated what it had become. I knew this game was gonna be a shadow of former installments. By now, my laptop who has been ever reliable and worthy to me over the last 3 years, was most likely unable to take the punishment of having shit on a disc installed on it's hard drive, so I spared myself the bother and money and went for the 360 option. Like the previous C&C, the graphics required an HDTV to see clearly. Let's say, I went stupid with my money at the end of last year and forked out for a "32 TV, but by this time, my 360 borked out on me. I was about halfway through this game and playing it semi-frequently, so when I jumped ship to the reliable PS3, I couldn't help but take up the offer of buying this game again when it was at a discount price and had 'special edition' written across it. Completed the Soviet and Rising Sun campaigns, but the Allied one is still to be done. I'm on the mission where you kill the president (of the USA, yes... this is how fucked up C&C has become :/). Not a fan of this game TBH.
C&C 4. Well, the end of the line. The previews for this game confirmed the worst. It was yet again GDI + Nod in futuristic fairy fantasy land with robots and lasers and everything pathetic you could possibly imagine in an orgy of sci-fi bullshit. This one is in no way a C&C from the reviews I have read. And I mean, I say C&C left us long ago, but this really does take the fucking piss. Read up on any review... Any fan's comments about this game. You'll be hard stretched to find a positive one. It's such a shame EA turned an interesting franchise with a solid loyal fan base into this monstrosity. I think the game description stated also that this is the final installment, at least as far as the Tiberian world goes. Do everyone a favour EA and just make it the final C&C, at least under your shitty management. Selling the rights to this franchise over to someone or something more capable (a gypo with down's syndrome for example) might actually give these games a fighting chance. I wouldn't go near this game with a 10ft barge pole. It even has a unit cap... yes, even in the PC version. You have been warned folks.
C&C to me is just another great franchise which I have enjoyed from childhood that we've seen slowly die through reasons completely unknown (unknown why the producers decide to skip so much, get rid of the good and bring in nothing half interesting). The key to making these games is clearly being missed and shedded over and over until you begin to wonder... Are they taking the piss? Do they expect fans to actually buy this shit? It's why me, and many other fans stick to the old games, the ones that are actually playable and in a lot of cases, modify the games. These modders put a lot of time and effort into enhancing the games left behind by EA. I personally would love to see an updated version of the originals... better graphics, more modes... Y'know, a little tweak here and there, but nothing that will completely chew the game up and spit it back out.
As far as the story lines go... I originally loved the GDI + Nod story, but then it all got too futuristic. There's a big Nod fan base on the internet, which is lawlzy. 'Peace thorugh power' my arse... Kane is a skinhead ;D GDI have had the upper hand when it comes to units, always =] and you gotta love the Ion Cannon on C&C 3. Finally, it's a weapon to be feared. I remember playing as Nod on the first C&C, all it would do is make me jump because it was so sudden =P.
Allied and Soviet story I don't mind. I do prefer the characteristics of the other 2 factions, but my favourite C&C, the RA2 + YR installment involved the Soviet + Allied story.
Generals story.... Hmmm, not really much of a story to it, but I loved the realism (at least compared to previous C&Cs) in this game. And when I got the ZH expansion, I couldn't believe how many more teams there were to choose from. Brilliant. More so if you add mods.
Reinforcements have arrived...
It will never happen, but if EA were to actually listen to fans... What kind of ideas would you submit to restore C&C to its former glory? I've had a few myself:
C&C: WW2. Using the great fun of strategy and simulation, you can now make the massacre that happened 70 years ago something that will put a big smile on your face. Just base a C&C game off world war 2. There'd be plenty of references for units, plenty of countries to choose from... No new story needed and no point of throwing in some pathetic units or other crazy shit. It's on a plate EA, dig in?
Reviving the originals and best. No, I don't mean another fucking re-release. I mean C&C originals with pimped up graphics and added modes and features :] Guaranteed to be a seller. (Pretty much a mod)
Go back.... WAAYYYYY back: You used time machines in the Red Alert series and skipped about 7 million years in the Tiberian universe (which makes me wonder why Kane isn't dead, burried and dust yet...) so why not just revert back to an earlier time in your pathetic story and try and be sensible this time. Take a look at what the fans like in the games and exploit that into taking our money. We know you're money-hungry bastards and you'd love nothing more than to take us for all we're worth, but the shite you've been spewing out for the last 3 odd years hasn't been anywhere near worth it. Scratch our back, we'll scratch yours...
Maybe even a spin-off wherre both universes collide and you have an awesome conflict of GDI + Allies Vs Soviets + Nod. I know they have completely different beliefs, but anything would be an improvement on the crap we have been subjected to by EA.
Here's a song which I didn't download, though all C&C fans must know:
Hurray. Today marks the 2 year point of Iain getting me to join. Oasis and Megadeth spamming my charts constantly.
Also, I wrote a song the other day. I was actually surprised at how long it didn't take and how easy it was. Still need to tweak it here and there, but it's more or less complete. I'm sure my brother in the room below appreciated my guitar rehersals at 2am for the past 2 nights. Regardless, I never thought I'd ever write a song because I'm not in any way creative =P I may write more though.
Just a side note, I will be voting for the Conservative party in the general election tomorrow. I'm not a solid Cons. supporter, but I think the Monster Raving Looney Party will be edged out this term in the votings. I blame many of Britains problems of today on the total shite we've had in office since '97 and I want to see dramatic change for the better. Nick Clegg can fuck right off too. Hung parliament, shagging the Europeans and getting rid of the pound are thing's I'm against. Our Law lecturer used to say it was about who you can vote out rather than who you can vote in. My vote would be wasted on a small party, so I'd rather contribute to the change. It's more my hatred of Labour and fear of the Lib Dems that have persuaded me to vote blue.
Saw this on someone elses profile. Might make an interesting change. Feel free to copy. Just make criticisms or say what you don't like about the artists =] Nobody's perfect =P
01. Oasis Wonderwall is overplayed and old after 300000 plays. Give it a rest.
02. Megadeth Why can't you get a stable line-up?
03. Metallica Arrogant. Lars is the biggest douchebag in music.
04. Stereophonics Your most popular songs appear to be the most lame. Therefore, don't try and be sell outs, make good music, not popular music. Some of your work is boring.
05. Iron Maiden To me, a lot of your songs on each album sound the same. Maybe just release a single instead.
06. Mindless Self Indulgence Hating on rock so blatently doesn't make you big, clever, funny or tough. It makes you an attention whore.
07. Paul Weller Your latest album was 21 tracks of pure fail. I'm guessing it was called '22 Dreams' because it puts most people to sleep.
08. Foo Fighters Don't... I know what you're thinking... Don't do it... Don't become so mainstream that you become annoying.
09. Guns N' Roses Is Axl getting younger? My younger sister can't squeal like that. Also, SLASHSLASHSLASH.
10. Rage Against The Machine Evil Empire was kinda... shit.
11. Avenged Sevenfold Your early stuff was crap. It was only when you sold out that you started writing decent music, and even that got old fast.
12. Rush Don't turn rock into a haven for pussies, please?
13. Blur "Better than Oasis" haha yeah fucking right. Your albums are inconsistant and have only a few good tracks on each. A complete band has albums where each and every track is a treasure.
14. The Jam Beat Surrender is annoying xP I do listen sometimes, but the mood you go for in some music is very off-putting.
15. Anthrax CRASH CRASH CRASH SOLO. Ohai a song 8D
16. Motorhead Some of your work is boring. Shave that ridiculous mustache, Lemmy. You look like a child molestor.
17. Led Zeppelin Overrated. Good, but still overrated. Takes a while for me to really get into their songs.
18. Feeder I see a common trend in your music, the way they're structured etc. Changing the riff and lyrics doesn't make it much of a new song -_-. Also, don't jump on the bandwagon of pretending to be American.
19. Franz Ferdinand Your last album was garbage. I waited eagerly for something new, and you squeeze out that steaming turd? Thanks a lot.
20. Kaiser Chiefs Since when has it been a good idea to put annoying songs onto an album? you can write good songs, so why do you insist on adding crap like Na Na Na Na Na? The title is just as annoying as the song itself.
21. Travis Have some boring songs. Also, you're Scottish, so write some songs about whisky and fighting.
22. Linkin Park Overrated as of '07. Adjusting to new music trends or selling out? I dunno.
23. The Killers Sawdust was meh. So meh infact, that I haven't been encouraged to buy anything else of theirs.
24. Machine Head I find you do have some songs on The Blackening that sound so much alike (Wolves and Halo, for example). And from what I've heard, if I'm not blown away by the Blackening, the rest of your work wont interest me.
25. The Stone Roses Writing boring songs is easy. Try and write more masterpieces like Fools Gold and What The World Is Waiting For. You can do it, so why do you not bother most of the time?
26. The Police So I hear you're incredibly rich? Among the wealthiest celebs? Why is that? You're good, but not THAT good.
27. Blue Oyster Cult This band was like chewing gum to me; good for a while, but then they lose their flavour and you chuck it away =P
28. The Clash Really, only a good few songs IMO. London Calling isn't even that good, yet everyone jacks off to it.
29. Jet On both albums, you have one amazing song, some ok, some bleh. Hurry up with new material please.
30. Joy Division Play the intro to any Joy Division song and it's anyones guess as to which of their 3 good songs it coud be!
31. Pantera SCREEEEEECCCHHH. Nah, not my thing. You do make some awesome songs, but a lot of it's just a noise-effect.
32. Puddle Of Mudd She Hates Me is a blatent steal of a Suicidal Tendancies song. POM haven't blown me away like I was hoping they would.
33. Slayer A very overrated metal band. They are the worst of the big 4 by a long shot. A lot of your music just comes across to me as being a mess. I know that's a foolish point of view, since I love thrash and it can be hard to grasp at first, but really, you get more credit than you deserve.
34. Audioslave These guys are supposedly Rage minus the vox? Haha, they don't even come close. About 4 good songs is all I've heard from these guys.
35. Hard-Fi If you're going to make an album as shitty, lazy and bland as your last, then please, retire and never come back.
36. Black Sabbath Have some annoying songs. Who Are You? for example. Didn't excite me enough into buying a 2nd album of theirs.
37. Gorillaz Your videos are lame. So lame infact, I've been too embarrased to pick up on of your albums yet. I might steal them one day instead.
38. Noel Gallagher I fear that now you write your own songs away from Oasis and you're considering releasing your own albums, you might go soft on us and play much slower, more mellow music. Find your balls and make sure there's at least a touch of excitment in each track you make. Talk Tonight would be an example to me, of what not to do. I can see how Liam influences the bands music now, don't forget you made it to the top together.
39. Queens Of The Stone Age A lot of boring stuff. Also, metal? lol
40. Lowline Sound of Music and Definition are better than Monitors. I don't know why everyone sees differently.
41. Slipknot You look like a joke. The reputation your fans have is not good.
42. Lostprophets You guys are fags for 2 reasons. 1: You act so American, you should be deported from this country if you've not already packed and left. 2: You allowed shit like The Blackout to leak into the music world and now I get daily headaches from their shit being blasted in the house. Thanks >:(
43. AC/DC A lot of people think you are one song constantly remixed. I haven't seen much evidence to go against that, so far. The not so much talked about tracks you've written don't interest me.
44. Bon Jovi Sometimes, in your songs, you sound like a crying woman, or something =|
45. Inspiral Carpets Crap name, to begin with xP. Also, I downloaded one of your albums (Life) and it wasn't worth keeping, with the exception of maybe one track.
46. Bryan Adams You know, there is more to life than love. There are more emotions than just love. Stop being a fanny and write a song about throwing babies against a wall or something.
47. The Verve You have a lot of boring tracks. Maybe a little too mellow for me.
48. Ocean Colour Scene A lot of boring tracks.
49. Simple Plan Some of the messages behind your music, and what you write about can be so lame.
50. The Shore Affliction Um... You must have done something wrong for the major record labels to have not picked you up yet o_o;
There you have it. Just a fun little shot at bands. I love each and every one of them, don't you forget that =P Some were really hard to criticise though, like The Shore Affliction and Noel Gallagher.