Lug 26 2011, 14:45 di cookiecupcakes
Ott 5 2009, 8:02 di adolph33ShockPop Play List - October 4, 2009
A great group of artists in the chat room included:
Richard Snow! Peter Burns! Laurie Biagini! John Evans!
Pete/The Big I Am! James/Billy Two Shoes!
Wim Oudijk! Snippet! Pete/Cult Of Wedge!
and tuning in from France - Patrick Druex!
These fine folks all typed with us in the chat room
while we dug their tunes!
Here's the sounds that made the show what it was today!
1. The Duckworth Lewis Method - Gentlemen and Players (3:23)
2. Two Sheds Jackson - is there anyone out there (3:50)
3. Class Three Overbite - Chasing The Rabbit (2:24)
4. Automat - It's The Beginning Of The End (3:57)
5. The Virgineers - Dr. Glouster (3:25)
6. John Lefler - Better by Design (4:48)
7. The Pillbugs - Plastic Surgical Holiday/Morning Mr Brain (4:28)
8. Cloud Cult - Story Of The Grandson Of Jesus (2:36)
9. PT Walkley - Daydreaming (2:14)
10. Marmalade Army - Welcome to the Army (1:24)
11. Marmalade Army - Flower Girl (1:43)
12. Tesco Chainstore Mascara - Writer's Block (3:07)
Set 6 2009, 21:16 di adolph33ShockPop! Play list - September 6, 2009
1. The Duckworth Lewis Method - Gentlemen and Players (3:23)
2. The Dandy Warhols - Horse Pills (3:25)
3. Tom Alford - Forever Summer Girl (3:09)
4. The Hi-Nobles - Red Eye (2:44)
5. Splitsville - Sunshine Daydream (2:59)
6. fun. - All the Pretty Girls (3:22)
7. The Mismatch - Keep on Moving (3:34)
8. The Tomorrows - Goodbye (3:10)
9. The Mockers - Pearly Gates (3:17)
10. The Postmarks - No One Said This Would Be Easy (3:33)
11. Peter & the penguins - There Goes Pete Best (4:39)
12. The General Store - Airport Breakfast (3:08)
13. The Rest - Modern Time Travel (Necessities) (3:14)
14. The Frank and Walters - After All (3:11)
15. The High Llamas - Honeytrop (3:40)
16. The Big I Am - Better Days (2:59)
17. The Pillbugs - Thou Doth Warm Me medley (9:03)
18. snippet - I'm no nearly man (5:10)
Ago 17 2009, 9:12 di adolph33Read all about it in the ShockPop Blog.
Here's a quick look at who got played...
1. The Rubinoos - Amnesia
2. Telekinesis! - Foreign Room
3. Toy Matinee - Last Plane Out
4. Mark Bacino - Sunny Day
5. Splitsville - Day Job
6. snippet - I'm no nearly man
7. Starling Electric - Camp-Fire
8. The Weightlifters - Oblivion Shines
9. rachael dunn - Falling Fast
10. Symphony in DeMeanor - Let The Children Play
11. Happydeadmen - Not the Only Sucker in Town
12. The Shadow Kabinet - Cause For Concern
13. Laurie Biagini - Rockin My World Like You Only Know How
14. Turin Brakes - Painkiller
15. The Frank and Walters - After All
16. Moondiver - No One But You
17. A gentle tuesday - the future's on the run
18. The Martial Arts - Frost
19. Wave Machines - I Go I Go I Go
20. Cosmo Topper - Better Be Real
21. Kenny Howes - Thought You'd Never Go
22. Tenlons fort - First Strike
23. Mike Viola - Operating On The Same Wavelength
24. The Posies - Dream All Day
25. Great Bloomers - Honey Blanket
Dic 17 2008, 16:44 di SI_FailedFinally I've finished powerpop Vol. II, when it should've been out a month ago, anyway. Here it is...
Lots more old classics and a whole bunch of modern ones. A lot more Swedish stuff for some reason.
Some personal highlights:
-Shrapnel – Combat Love is punk rock love.
-The Outcasts another great band from the first wave of Northern Ireland punk. Criminally ignored.
-The Exploding Hearts are phenomenal to say the least. One listen and you're hooked they're that good.
-The Doits, Sweden's answer to old-school guitar pop with lots of catchy hooks.
Download It Here!
Hanx and Enjoy.
1. Stiv Bators – Make Up Your Mind
2. Nick Lowe - Mary Provost
3. Shrapnel - Combat Love
4. The Fans - Giving Me That Look In Your Eyes
5. Running Dogs - Blue Boats
6. Nikki & The Corvettes – Young & Crazy
7. Traste & Superstararna - Alla Tankte Sa
Lug 16 2008, 5:28 di kingofgrief3 PM:
BBC News Headlines
Brian Wilson / Love and Mercy / Brian Wilson (Warner Archives/Rhino 88)
Friendly Fires / On Board / Friendly Fires (XL/Beggars Group 08) [album released September 1]
Hot Butter / Popcorn / Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day, v.14 (Rhino 72/90)
Yazoo / Ode to Boy / Reconnected EP (Mute UK 08)
Everything But the Girl / Flipside / Walking Wounded / Atlantic (96)
Bridge Music: Twilight Archive / Something Unquiet / Ritual Fiction (Electrophonogram 08)
Arthur Yoria / I Don't Wear Red / (12 08)
Fleetwood Mac / The Ledge / Tusk (Warner Bros. 79)
fredmusic / Sugar / Sound Awake (Overdone Music 05)
The New Pornographers / Chump Change / Electric Version (Matador/Beggars Group 03)
Dulcesky / Icon of Distress / Unfamiliar EP (Nueve Music/Eden's Watchtower 08)
The Church / Ripple / Priest=Aura (Arista 92)
Southern Backtones / Forever / Southern Backtones (self-release 04)
Bridge Music: TWILIGHT ARCHIVE / Flow of Know / Ritual Fiction (Electrophonogram 08)
Gen 24 2008, 4:48 di RichaodMostly white teenage Australian males share far too many overrated artists... so in order to cure everyone of their collective musical inferiority, I've decided to educate them.
Coldplay (more specifically, Clocks):
Rhythmically the most boring band in the world. That's not an opinion - that's a fact. Basically every single one of their songs is a mid-tempo soft-rocker, with either guitar or piano playing continuous eighth notes. Sometimes fourth notes. Need proof?
Jeff Buckley - Coldplay wish they could make sensitive music
Radiohead - Coldplay wish they could be innovative
Muse - Coldplay wish they could be a post-Britpop band with ENERGY!
Tori Amos - Coldplay wish they could play the piano nearly as well
Not really derivative, but fairly generic, faceless, totally unchallenging Australian rock. …
Dic 18 2007, 18:17 di Big_Baby_JesusRather than try and come off as a music critic, I'll just share with you my thoughts on my favorite five new releases of 2007. Totally subjective opinions and probably no real surprises.
1. Nicole Atkins - Neptune City: Released and appeared to sink without a trace. Too bad, as I really like her songwriting and singing. It's haunting in that she manages to combine some of the grandeur of Roy Orbison with the worldview of David Lynch. The title track is an ode to her hometown, and the keeper is the lead track, "Party's Over." Great debut album from someone apparently destined to be a cult favorite.
2. Crowded House - Time On Earth: What a wonderful album. Completely unlike anything else in their catalog, yet familiar at the same time. Some truly touching and moving songs, as Neil Finn continues to write from where he is, rather than trying to come up with a hit. More honest music would be hard to find.
3. The Pipettes - We Are The Pipettes: Fun is back in music. …
Ott 24 2007, 15:31 di Big_Baby_JesusTake your top 20 artists. For each of these artists, collect the top 5 similar artists. The resulting number of unique artists is your eclectic score. If the score is small (extreme = 5) your musical preferences are very limited, and if it is large (larger than 80, extreme = 100), then you have an eclectic musical preference. You can compute your own score at http://anthony.liekens.net/pub/scripts/last.fm/eclectic.php
My eclectic score is currently
The 85 related artists for my profile are 10cc, 20/20 (2), Alex Chilton, Alice Cooper, America, Badfinger, Basia Bulat, Belle and Sebastian, Bloc Party, Bob Dylan (2), Bon Jovi, Boston (2), Bram Tchaikovsky, Camera Obscura, Cat Stevens, Chicago, Chris Bell, Crowded House, Danny Elfman, Dayna Manning, Dwight Twilley Band, Eagles (2), Foreigner (2), Gerry Rafferty, Guns N' Roses, Hank Williams, Hans Zimmer, Harry Chapin, Howard Shore, I'm from Barcelona, INXS, Icehouse, Jackson Browne, James Horner, James Taylor, Jim Croce, John Lennon…
Lug 23 2007, 9:59 di trebla777I would like to introduce a site I am co-developing: www.thecopycat.biz. Basically it is a blog, where we place examples of tunes that treat other songs not only as creative inspiration.
Please come by, comment, send us submissions (info(a)thecopycat.biz), corrections or simply listen to rip-offs, wack sampling and bad covering.
So far we have entries for:
Rihanna vs. New Order and Orgy
Marylin Manson vs. Faith No More
Kazik vs. Fresh Prince
Modern Talking vs. Europe
U2 vs. Pearl Jam
Hey vs. The Cardigans
Black Eyed Peas, Aguilera vs. Alicia Keys
Nosowska_Rojek_Grabaz vs. Dandy Warhols
Franz Ferdinand vs. Dexy Midnight Runners, Joe Dassin and Korn
Red Hot Chili Peppers vs. Tom Petty
Jay Sean vs. Da Luniz
Bajm vs. Duran Duran
Patrycja Markowska vs. Meredith Brooks and Mampi Swift
Akon vs. R Kelly and Atmosphere
Szymon Wydra vs. Nick Kershaw
Madonna vs. The Police
Coldplay vs. Edwyn Collins
Jamelia vs. Depeche Mode and Lightning Seeds
Jet vs. Iggy Pop
Doda vs. Placebo, Wyclef Jean and The Bangles