• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 16 2011, 22:58

Welcome

Description:

For those who not only experience visual synesthesia when they listen to music, but pick up on visuals of atmospheric places as well. When it comes to music, are generic comments like "So amazing" not enough for you? Do you often feel the need to convey how some music makes you feel like you're somewhere else -- a very specific, very familiar, very personal place? If you'd like to discuss what a piece of music feels like or evokes visually -- beyond simple primary colors -- as well as emotionally, this is the place for you.

Basically, I'm often baffled by how people comment on albums like Brian Eno and Harold Budd's The Plateaux of Mirror, for example, with generic statements such as "Beautiful!" or "It really is magical..."

When I hear that album, the first thing that I want to say is "Wow, it makes me feel like I'm on a farm in Iceland thousands of years ago after a fresh snowfall. I'm out looking at the weird shadows in the snow, admiring the stillness but also fearing the hardship that it might bring. I love how the moonlight makes it look almost blue. I feel like there's a porch light on behind me that's affecting the colorization here. It's amazing how perfectly this music encapsulates such atmospheric scenery."

If you ever feel similarly frustrated by people's inability to take music beyond pure sound, I'd love to talk to you.

• Utente
    • Mag 28 2011, 14:12

Modificato da un utente eliminato in data Ott 12 2011, 2:34
    • Utente
    • Mag 28 2011, 21:18
    Yeah, I wasn't really remarking on last.fm so much as I was remarking on the lack of Internet communities devoted to anything other than self-promotion when it comes to atmospheric music. I've always found that a bit weird.

Interesting experience, though. I remember The Atomium somewhat, and it definitely seemed to stand out. I really need to listen to Stars of the Lid material from before Tired Sounds. Is Avec Laudenum worth listening to? I've only heard a few individual tracks from their earlier material, but from what I have heard, I sort of like it more than the more melodic stuff they tend to do now.

And speaking of Stars of the Lid, I can't remember how I discovered the track Julie Delpy, but I enjoy listening to it at around 3 AM alone before bed. I think it'd be even better during a sunrise, though. It sounds like a world full of living things, but all of them are unconscious, so it's "alive," but serene and totally still. There's something strangely cosmic about that to me.

• Utente
    • Set 29 2011, 18:17
    Avec Laudenum is definitely worth listening to as is the rest of their discography. If you're looking for pre-Tired Sounds material, I can't recommend The Ballasted Orchestra highly enough either.

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.