Vegetarian "meat" products

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 16 2012, 19:30

Vegetarian "meat" products

When I cook for myself I generally stay clear of vege "meats", but when family members cook for me they often use them. My father just did me a pasta based off of one I liked before I went vegetarian, using the new Linda Mcartney vegetarian king prawns and I found it uncomfortably similar to the actual sensation of eating prawns.

I was just interested in if anyone else had been through a similar situation?

Generally vegetarian sausages, burgers, mince etc doesn't bother me too much, but this was just way too close.

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 17 2012, 14:59
    haven't had veg 'prawns' but since i became a vegan i've often wondered why there is a market for veg meats. i don't feel a need to be assimilated with friends and family when it comes to food, esp when there is a cookout or get together. it's just an abundance of soy intake in the end.

• I'm okay with it. My mother sometimes uses it for me when she cooks dinner for us all.

But I like to make a batch of Seitan from scratch every now and then for myself... :D

P.S.: The 'meat' taste is in your head anyway.
    (Give me 2 slices of toast, a toaster, butter, danish cream cheese & nutritional yeast, and I will make you a sandwich with corned beef taste) ;)

• I don't eat mock-meats, but do eat "faux-egg" in the form of tamagoyaki, Japanese rolled omelette. I don't miss eggs in general or any other animal products, just this one dish as it was my favorite food. I have a lot of warm memories attached to it.
    However, my overall view of imitation food is that it shouldn't be eaten often (at all, really), especially since most people don't make it from scratch. Prepackaged/pre-prepared foods are likely unhealthy or at least not as optimally healthy as they could be.

• WLDB ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 30 2012, 15:53
    I'm fine with it. The only ones I avoid are the weiners/sausages as they are too much like the real thing. Some veggie burgers are really good, others are awful.

-Wes
  • OccultRock said:
    I don't eat mock-meats, but do eat "faux-egg" in the form of tamagoyaki, Japanese rolled omelette.

I thought tamagoyaki was made from eggs?

• XemonerdX said:
    OccultRock said:
    I don't eat mock-meats, but do eat "faux-egg" in the form of tamagoyaki, Japanese rolled omelette.

I meant I make a faux one, using tofu. When it's late, my logic begins to warp.

• OccultRock said:
    XemonerdX said:
    OccultRock said:

I meant I make a faux one, using tofu. When it's late, my logic begins to warp.

No problem :) Anyways, sounds interesting, should look up some recipe and give it a try myself.

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.