Recommended Literature

• Recommended Literature

RULES BEFORE SUBMITTING A BOOK:
    • Unless the title makes it explicitly clear, there must be a justification why you think this book belongs to the ACP. Make sure the content matches the content of this forum and site!
    • There must be an explanation of what category the book(s) belongs to!

This thread is first of all meant to serve as an informative gateway for people who are interested in specific topics that are of interest for this forum, such as religion, (black metal) music, science and occult phenomena. The second purpose is meant to allow users with input of what they would think is good literature. I know a lot of people who are members here, active or not, are great book consumers and I know that as book consumers, we always seek for ways to expand our already overflowing libraries!

I will keep a somewhat general and easy-to-use system in which I will create main categories and then just add appropriate subcategories. The books will be featured with book title first as to make it easier for people who wish to search for specific topics to find what they are looking for. If you are looking for a specific author, using the webbrowser's ctrl + F key will open up the search function.

Modificato da LeaTelamon in data Apr 26 2010, 20:06
  • PHILOSOPHY

The Antichrist - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Crime Against Logic: Exposing the Bogus Arguments of Politicans, Priests, Journalists and Other Serial Offenders - James Whyte
    The Fine Art of Baloney Detection - Carl Sagan in The Eloquent Essay by John Loughery

RELIGION

• Other

Letters from the Earth - Mark Twain
    The Age of Reason - Thomas Paine

• Atheism

The God Virus - Darrel W. Ray

• New Age and New Religious Movements

Controversial New Religious Movements - James R. Lewis & Jesper Aagaard Petersen
    Violence and New Religious Movements - James R. Lewis & Jesper Aagaard Petersen

• Satanism

Contemporary Religious Satanism: A Critical Anthology - Jesper Aaagard Petersen
    Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground - Michael Moynihan Didrik Söderlind

SCIENCE
    • Scientific Theory

The Demon-haunted World: Science as a candle in the dark - Carl Sagan

MUSIC

FICTION
    • Other

Behold the Man - Michael Moorcock
    Let's Go to Golgotha - Garry Kilworth
    The Marriage of Heaven and Hell - William Blake

Modificato da LeaTelamon in data Apr 27 2011, 0:12
  • Placeholder.

• Waldheri ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 26 2010, 6:06
    Religion
    "The Antichrist" - Friedrich Nietzsche
    "Letters from the Earth" - Mark Twain
    "The Age of Reason" - Thomas Paine

Science / Skepticism
    "The Demon-haunted World: Science as a candle in the dark" - Carl Sagan
    "Crimes against logic" - James Whyte

Meshuggah: "A combination of the powerful and the avant-garde, the band is as visceral and imposing an act as you’ll ever see and hear, guitarists Fredrik Thordendal, Mårten Hagström, and bassist Dick Lövgren hammering out lurching, monolithic riffs as they headbang in robotic unison, vocalist Jens Kidman barking out surreal verses like a twisted drill sergeant while gesticulating like a puppet on strings. - Adrien Begrand (PopMatters)
    • db0 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 26 2010, 6:51
    Oh come ooooooon...

:P

Just add your books to that page as well.

PS: old thread is here

It is fortunate that what is necessary, is easy to acquire and what is difficult to have, is not necessary - Epicurus.
    Whenever you get randomly killed, the simplest and most logical solution is that it was probably ninja - Occam's Katana.

• Well, apparently "Behold the Man" by Michael Moorcock. [Sci-fi / dystopic]
    Also, if you can find the short story "Let's Go to Golgotha!" by Garry Kilworth, it's quite funny.

I can’t think of any greater happiness than to be with you all the time, without interruption, endlessly, even though I feel that here in this world there’s no undisturbed place for our love, neither in the village nor anywhere else; and I dream of a grave, deep and narrow, where we could clasp each other in our arms as with clamps, and I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.
  • db0 said:
    Oh come ooooooon...

:P

Just add your books to that page as well.

PS: old thread is here

RSS feed them or co-maintain them somehow? :)

• Waldheri ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 26 2010, 14:14
    Let's try to keep the book list relevant to this group's subject: Religion in general and Christianity in particular. All other things are fine as long as they are somehow related (for example, Crimes against logic is not about religion in particular, but it's subtitle shows its relevancy: Exposing the Bogus Arguments of Politicians, Priests, Journalists, and Other Serial Offenders)

I'd put James Whyte's Crimes Against Logic under philosophy as well. Furthermore, putting Friedrich Nietzsche's The Antichrist under nihilism is wrong. Nietzsche condemns various things from Christianity because they are, to him, mere nihilism. He is very much against nihilism and anything that leads to it.

Db0 & LeaTelamon: I am willing to update the books page on the ACP website. I'll try to find the relevant book recommendations from the old thread.

Meshuggah: "A combination of the powerful and the avant-garde, the band is as visceral and imposing an act as you’ll ever see and hear, guitarists Fredrik Thordendal, Mårten Hagström, and bassist Dick Lövgren hammering out lurching, monolithic riffs as they headbang in robotic unison, vocalist Jens Kidman barking out surreal verses like a twisted drill sergeant while gesticulating like a puppet on strings. - Adrien Begrand (PopMatters)
  • I got some article lying around called The Art of Baloney Detection or something similar... let's see if I can dig it up.

Unfortunately the OP cannot be moderated by anyone else but me, I will attempt to update and I've also thought of ways of how to highlight the titles in a better manner than now. The [l i] command might work and using bold to highlight titles better.

And I agree that most ficttion and other nonfiction that does not necessarily belong to the interest of the ACP should not be added. Maybe there should be an established criterion that any member must justify why a book should be enlisted unless the title of the book explicitly makes sure that it is of interest.

And oh yes, a classification suggestion should also be needed as it is impossible for me to always figure out where a book belongs if I have not read it or have any previous knowledge of the book(s) myself.

• Waldheri ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 27 2010, 5:20
    The Art of Baloney Detection - Sounds like Sagan ;-) He mentions it in The Demon-Haunted World - science as a baloney detection kit.

I've dug around in the old thread and used some books from there and this thread to create this reading list page at the ACP.

Any new additions that people add here, I will also add there.

• Right, we are using different listing methods here... the question is whethe we should be consequential and use the same. I personally find italics a bit hard to read when it's supposed to highlight a text around other texts in italics.

Maybe some reader input on what you think would be the best model?

• This one would probably fit under Atheism or Science, I'm not sure.

The God Virus by Darrel W. Ray.
    The book talks about how religion always finds it ways to survive after "Excessive debunking", and how brainwashing plays a huge role on that. It's a pretty informative book, and more importantly, whatever tells you makes you think so it makes sense and you don't go around blindly believing like you would when you read the Bible.

• Hi NightVermillion, I will add the book to the list a bit later (as in when it's not 5 in the morning...)

• William Blake - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell. Somewhere between filosophy and fiction?

I can’t think of any greater happiness than to be with you all the time, without interruption, endlessly, even though I feel that here in this world there’s no undisturbed place for our love, neither in the village nor anywhere else; and I dream of a grave, deep and narrow, where we could clasp each other in our arms as with clamps, and I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.
  • Sorry for the late response Vampy, I haven't noticed your post until now. I will put it under Other if it is that hard to classify, especially as I have not read it myself.

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.