Stats Ideas

• i don't know if it was already proposed, but something like a "real listening time counter", i have the idea that i saw it somewhere, but i don't seem to find where it was :-/

any feedback on my shoutbox would be really appreciated. C ya ;)

"Las casas de Dios vuelan igual que las de los hombres cuando conocen el C4"
  • how about a last.fm "long tail" stat?

I think this would be simple to implement. It could be a sum of the tracks played for the top 50 artists compared with total number of tracks. The idea would be to represent the "long tail" of the a user's listening... in other words, the artists/tracks that aren't represented by his/her top 50.

So if I have 20,000 total tracks, and the sum of the tracks for my top 50 artists is 4,500 tracks.... 20,000-4,500 = 15,000 tracks or (77.5%) in the "long tail" not immediately reflected in my top 50. A higher % value = longer tail.

I think this would be a very handy tool for quickly gauging the scope/range of a user's listening habits.

Thanks!

• itazurada said:

20,000-4,500 = 15,000 tracks or (77.5%) ....

Except, of course, that you'd make the math correct... oops

• Cedstama ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ott 21 2007, 12:47
    itazurada: There has already been such tool, although I see it is gone now. :\ Then again, there is this Score 500 thing that also compares the number of plays in your top500 to the total number of plays (plus does much more).

• Ah, I see... OK. Well, I made the calculation for my own charts and put it in my profile along with a plea to any wayward programmers who might happen to stumble through....still think it would be a nifty "AEP-like" metric for profiles.

• Is there a way to ask last.fm what your, for example, 100th track played was? Even if your current number of tracks played is more than 100.

• You can go to your recently listened tracks and count backwards, but that only displays your last 828 tracks (for me anyway, its a kinda random number :S), 50 to a page.

• Hi guys, I dunno if one exists or has been proposed before or if this is do-able, but I can't seem to find this:

The idea I've got and been kinda wanting to see is a user's Weekly Top 10 Artist counter.
    So it'd show a list of (50 or so?) artists organized by the most appearance in a user's Weekly Top 10 throughout their Last.FM stay. Next to the artist is a number indicating how many times they've appeared in that user's Weekly Top 10 since they joined Last.FM.

So, for example, maybe it'd look something like...
    1. Smashing Pumpkins - 23 (weeks on Weekly Top)
    2. Radiohead - 16
    3. The Cure - 15
    etc.

Thanks!!

• C26000 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Nov 6 2007, 16:26
    try this one:

http://music.aves-reich.de/

the extended charts option is similar to your idea

• C26000 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Nov 23 2007, 16:47
    this one is obvious :),

we need an equivalent to Metal Add for non metal music listeners!!

• Danrob ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Nov 25 2007, 10:58
    What about doing a unique artist song chart? I mean, you get your song charts as always but only song one per band. I think it would be very practical for people who is obsessed with one band/album and it floods its song charts.

Caligula would have blushed
    • jellevc ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Nov 27 2007, 22:15
    Something I would REALLY like to see is an overall-overall-artist/track chart for the whole of last.fm. Through time, that is. So there would have to be a script that added up all number of weekly plays for the artists/tracks noted in last.fm's overall weekly top 400, add those all up and display the final result.

Lang leve de Kindervrienden
    • C26000 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Nov 27 2007, 22:44
    weren't those charts global before?

:O , those weekly global charts have so much information!

mmmm.....I'm thinking about global artist graphs like this ;)

• jellevc ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Nov 29 2007, 12:17
    One thing I missed when thinking about this is that each artist/track has a "total plays" number on their page. That could be useful data.
    The global weekly charts could help make a chart through time.

Lang leve de Kindervrienden
    • pcmadman ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 2 2007, 23:02

Re: how about a last.fm "long tail" stat?

itazurada said:
    I think this would be simple to implement. It could be a sum of the tracks played for the top 50 artists compared with total number of tracks. The idea would be to represent the "long tail" of the a user's listening... in other words, the artists/tracks that aren't represented by his/her top 50.

So if I have 20,000 total tracks, and the sum of the tracks for my top 50 artists is 4,500 tracks.... 20,000-4,500 = 15,000 tracks or (77.5%) in the "long tail" not immediately reflected in my top 50. A higher % value = longer tail.

I think this would be a very handy tool for quickly gauging the scope/range of a user's listening habits.

Thanks!

It took less characters to code it than it took you to describe it! :P

http://musicmapper.bit-byters.net/longtail.php?user=pcmadman

Fill in your own username offcourse :)

But this is very unlike AEP. My AEP is something like 4.24 but my long tail is only 42.8% yet I have >30K tracks played.
    If you had a user with a very exponential profile of lets say a thousand plays of it's top artist and ten plays for another thousand different artists.
    It's AEP would be: 5-25*((1000-10)/(1000+49*10)) = -11.6
    It's longtail would be: 951*10/(1000+10*1000)*100 = 86.5%

• C26000 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 3 2007, 0:52
    @pcmadman

can you add a small textbox and a button to that long tail calculator so I can add it to the list? :)

• pcmadman ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 3 2007, 3:33
    C26000 said:
    @pcmadman

can you add a small textbox and a button to that long tail calculator so I can add it to the list? :)

I'm still writing a page for musicmapper.
    I'll also be able to generate an image you can post anywhere you feel fit. Do the &type=img thing. ;)

• pcmadman ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 3 2007, 6:23
  • Just dropped by after a decent hiatus to find my wish granted! Thank you so much for implementing this...it's excellent.

• Cedstama ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 5 2007, 13:12
    This is pretty simple idea. I'd like to know number of different artists in my profile overall.. I used to check this with Talion music tools but now I've been in Last.fm for so long that they cannot handle all the weekly data. Or maybe this information already is somewhere in Last.fm, only to be found?

Plus I have another idea too. Those tagclouds and all stuff by aliekens are great, imo maybe the best scripts I've found. But I've realized that my tagcloud mainly just presents the tagcloud of the whole last.fm. So I thought of an alternative method of building tagclouds. A tagcloud that would also take the number of people that have used the tag into consideration. This would prevent for example the indie or alternative tag appearing in each profile just because they're so overused. I think tagclouds would become more correct this way.

Thanks for attention, if anyone read. :)

• C26000 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 5 2007, 14:52
    for the first idea you just need to check your full overall artist chart : http://www.last.fm/user/Cedstama/charts/?charttype=overall&subtype=artist

as long as the number of different artist in your profile is less than 500 you can see the number there. if it's greater than 500 you can use last.fm extra stats in the chart option, but before you need to change the option 'Ignore Items with less than X Weekly Plays' to 1 and restart the program. remember to change it back to 5 after you have explored your top 2000 chart.

I'm not sure if I understood correctly your second idea, you mean create the tag cloud reducing the importance of the most used tags in last.fm? something like a partial ignore?

• thegale ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 5 2007, 20:18
    Hi!

Is there any tool that counts and shows overall plays of my artists in line graph?

Like this Score 500 but so that each of my artist/album/tag would have own line and I could compare when this Band A has passed Band B and became number 1 on my charts.

Or in a way that line of artist shows the current overall position of this band.

• C26000 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 5 2007, 21:32
  • I like the idea of your own track listing chart by artist is that available anywhere?

Good music is just good music, don't put a label on it!!!
    • C26000 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 5 2007, 23:01

How To Make Track Charts Filtered By Artist

Edit:

you can do it with this online tool by OnDistantShores. If you still want to learn how to do it with last.fm extra stats keep reading :)

here is the detailed procedure:

1. In 'Settings' change the option 'Ignore Items With Less Than X Weekly Plays' to 1.

2. Restart the program

3. Enter your username and select the 'Chart' Option.

4. Select the 'Tracks' option in 'Mode:'

5. Wait while the program downloads your weekly track charts.

6. Select the 'Custom' option in 'Items'

7. Right Click the Box behind the box with the 'Custom' text, click 'Add' in the context menú, type the name of the artist that you want to filter and press enter.

8. After you have finished, remember to change the 'Ignore Items With Less Than X Weekly Plays' setting back to the old value (the preset is 5).

Modificato da C26000 in data Dic 8 2007, 19:03
Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.