What makes a progressive metal band?

• What makes a progressive metal band?

Basically, what makes a metal band 'progressive', in the true sense of the word? Not just copying everyone else, but who are actually moving metal forward.

What do you need to hear to think 'fuck yeah, this is prog'?

The reason I've started this is because I've heard plenty of my friends raving about some really shitty bands as prog (e.g. Between The Buried and Me)

"We live, as we dream - alone" - Joseph Conrad
  • What makes a progressive metal band?

In the true sense of the word, I think that "progressive" means that the band's sound evolves as time goes on. Obviously, others would disagree arguing that "progressive" is a particular sound such as the "Images and Words" Dream Theater era. What do you feel makes a band progressive?

• shofman ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 16 2011, 19:24
    I think people shouldn't stick too much to the term "progressive".
    It's just the term Robert Fripp used back in the 60s to describe King Crimson's sound, because they had a completely different sound than all other bands.
    Nowadays, progressive rock more or less stands for "long songs, many solo's, weird sounds, even weirder time signatures etc."

• I think there a basically two schools of thought on this, at least that I've come across. There are the people who think progressive is a concept that means a band/artist is constantly developing their sound and taking in new influences. The other group believe that progressive is a genre or specific sound. I tend to go with the first definition, and it's really funny because most prog-genre bands aren't really that progressive (concept-wise).

For instance, Spock's Beard pretty much did everything they were going to do on the first album up until Neal Morse left! How was their music really "progressing"? They just had a slightly progressive-genre sound with long songs, quirky arrangements, strange lyrics, etc... I've heard Nick D'Virgilio say that he though that Feel Euphoria (the first after Neal left) was actually their most progressive! I think he is definitely a progressive-concept guy.

Either way though, Spock's Beard is great!

FREE EP - "Episode 01: Like Peering Into The Deepest Ocean Abyss."
    Mastered by Jens Bogren (Devin Townsend, Symphony X, James Labrie, Opeth)

www.thedeadstation.com (EP download)
    www.facebook.com/thedeadstation
    • DCE- ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 19 2011, 5:51
    For me its all about the drummer. He either elevates the band's level or quashes it down with some lazy simple 4\4 stupid soulless drumming. which is precisely why I think the "prog" classification is tossed around too much. Bands like Riverside, Kamelot, RPWL, even Pink Floyd and many others (although I deeply love those bands) shouldn't be even remotely described as progressive when compared to Dream Theater or Porcupine Tree!!
    To many it is simply about being experimental. To me that's another subject entirely.
    Progressive should have time signatures like 5\4 6\8 7\4 not just simple 4\4 with some twin pedal double time stuff. no matter how good the guitarist or keyboardist is.

"All our words are but crumbs that fall down from the feast of the mind" Khalil Gibran
  • DCE... I definitely can see where you are coming from though... Progressive music usually has a very distinctive drum style than regular rock/metal. Much more interesting and involved.

FREE EP - "Episode 01: Like Peering Into The Deepest Ocean Abyss."
    Mastered by Jens Bogren (Devin Townsend, Symphony X, James Labrie, Opeth)

www.thedeadstation.com (EP download)
    www.facebook.com/thedeadstation
    • DCE- ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 21 2011, 3:07
    Thanx aparadox!! its great to have someone agree.

"All our words are but crumbs that fall down from the feast of the mind" Khalil Gibran
  • I agree as well. The drumming definitely goes far beyond just keeping time and seems to actually become part of the song - if that makes any sense. Any one else feel the same way?

• I disagree with DCE about Riverside and Pink FLoyd I think that drumming is definitely a part of it but it doesnt define "progressive"

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 30 2011, 23:08
    Firstly, we must know that a term "progressive" is only a simplification when it comes to i.e. looking for a similiar groups as your favourite ones.

For me, "progressive" means: a lot of complex, three-dimensional compositions, coherence of albums and awareness of its importance, building music not based on a technical skill (although usually it's extremely high), but on an idea. Progressive riffs often are simple as fuck. Finally, progressive means it's innovative or it's mastering old techniques.

Progressive bands (like Tool, Opeth, Porcupine Tree) often uses a totally new techniques of building compositions - Opeth with its totally fucked up dynamic changes - from extreme deathmetal-like blasts and shreds to a beautiful acoustic ballads with clean Akerfeldt's voice... Tool with its guitar with a lot of muting, weird rhythmics and inspiring Maynard's vocals... Porcupine Tree with it's complexity which is totally unusual, great lyrics...

I think that makes progressive bands so important in a history of music. If Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin hadn't existed, what would rock and metal be?

• For me, Progressive is when there's a idea behind the muisc, a feeling that makes this music unique. I stick up with the idea of concept albums very much, seeing albums as a whole piece of art (I hate 'Best Of's)
    Prog has to touch me, it unlashes deep feelings or is complex enough to be admired for that complexity.
    Because of that, I like extreme albums and pieces like 'Octavarium' (Dream Theater, the piece, especially) or 'The Devil's Hall Of Fame' (Beyond Twilight)

So, I belive that the atmosphere of Prog Metal makes it Prog Metal.
    Beisdes: Sorry for my good english

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.