Preferred Jazz

• Preferred Jazz

There was a mini-thread within another thread on here about jazz, and someone mentioned Sun Ra.

Where's a good place to start with Sun Ra?

Jazz I like:

* Sex by The Necks (entrancing, hypnotic, minimal)
    * Lowlife by Peter Brötzmann & Bill Laswell (chaotic, dirty, rough)
    * Bitches Brew by Miles Davis (understated, fragmented-yet-cohesive)

-BKS

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 16 2011, 5:07
    I keep meaning to listen to the Necks. Thanks for reminding me about them.

I saw Chris Abrahams at the Cafe OTO a few months ago and he was excellent. The best part was when he decided to keep repeating a single note on his piano for about five minutes. You could FEEL the audience getting impatient at him but doing nothing about it, and I found that pretty funny. When he got down to it and started playing more seriously, though, he sounded great, so I look forward to hearing how he works in the context of The Necks.

• Seppooku said:
    I keep meaning to listen to the Necks. Thanks for reminding me about them.

I saw Chris Abrahams at the Cafe OTO a few months ago and he was excellent. The best part was when he decided to keep repeating a single note...

Awesome!! What sort of crowd showed up for this gig?

I miss living in a major city. I was in London for half of 1998 and caught some great gigs during that timeframe.

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 20 2011, 0:15
    Chris Abrahams was topping the bill that night, so there were probably a few Necks fans in the audience. It's a small venue and a lot of people were buying on the door (probably 100 people in the audience at the most), so I have a feeling that a good few didn't know what to expect.

I'd actually never heard of him before-hand; I was there to see Scanner (Robin Rimbaud), who is one of my favourite electronic musicians. So it was a surprise to me too! His performance reminded me of Charlemagne Palestine at times.

RE: Brotzmann. I have never heard him but I'm going to see him performing as a duo with Keiji Haino in April (at the same venue as the Abrahams show, in fact). Are there any particular albums of his I should try out? I'll get the collab with Bill Laswell for a start.

• I am by no means a Peter Brötzmann fan; I discovered him through Bill Laswell (Low-Life, as mentioned above), who I've followed since the mid-90s. I picked up a couple of Brötzmann's own discs used (Nipples, and, something else) and found those unpleasant. Super chaotic and avant-garde, free of any apparent framework, and just not my cuppa tea. The Laswell/Brötzmann is rumblingly chaotic yet harnessed.

• oaquard ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 24 2011, 4:20
    Brotzmann is awesome! Hope you have fun seeing him and Haino though. Machine Gun is an awesome record by Brotzman.

Just got into the necks myself, though, and haven't payed much mind (unfortunately) to Bill Laswell. I'll give Low-Life a listen; I'm surprised I haven't already. Anything else I should check?

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.