My Gang Recos Of The Week

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Ott 28 2008, 23:44

Grace Jones - Corporate Cannibal : Reco of the Week 28 Oct 08

Grace Jones - Corporate Cannibal : Reco of the Week 28 Oct 08

Artist: Grace Jones
    Track: Corporate Cannibal (unavailable in Last.fm, listen at imeem)
    Album: Hurricane (3 Nov 08)
    Tags: , , , ,

YouTube

The inimitable Miss Jones returns after 20 years with an astonishing track and video.

A long, long time ago, my favourite track by her was Private Life, a dry , track which perhaps now can be seen as a precursor to with its hypnotic rhythms in both music and lyrics. Decades later, she gives us a cold, disturbing and frightening mix of modern trip-hop with lyrics suggesting misanthropy if not misandry.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Nov 4 2008, 1:21

Emiliana Torrini - Jungle Drum / Birds : Reco of the Week 04 Nov 08

Emiliana Torrini - Jungle Drum / Birds : Reco of the Week 04 Nov 08

Artist: Emiliana Torrini
    Tracks: Jungle Drum, Birds
    Album: Me And Armini (2008)
    Tags: , ,
    Video: Click the pic :

YouTube

It's election day in the US and the world is watching. Who will it be? Barack Obama or John McCain? Exciting! I can't believe people have been queuing for up to four hours already to register their votes. I don't think I've ever been so interested in a US election since Ronald Reagan back whenever that was, which was the first time we had 24 hour television here in the UK. Can't wait to see what the swingometers look like. They're always the best bit.

What do I recommend that will help while away the hours whilst votes are being counted and TV people are interviewing everyone they can get hold of? I decided on two tracks. Two for the price of one. One track is exhuberant and joyful, for those who have got what they wanted, and the other is slow, philosophical and thoughtful, for everyone commiserating. They follow one after the other in the video, above.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Nov 12 2008, 1:41

Dengue Fever - Seeing Hands : Reco of the Week 11 Nov 08

Dengue Fever - Seeing Hands : Reco of the Week 11 Nov 08

Artist: Dengue Fever
    Track: Seeing Hands
    Album: Venus On Earth (2008)
    Tags: , , , , , , ,
    Video: Click the pic...

YouTube

Today, the 11th day of the 11th month, marks the 90th anniversary of Armistice Day, or the international day of peace. To mark the day, and to show my gratitude to those who fought - and fight - on my behalf, I have chosen a band and track of international flavour.

The sound is a great blend of two traditions - western pop and eastern khmer. Those who are familiar with 50s/60s pop from across the continent of Asia will recognise themes: an eastern vocal over western , , with eastern flourishes, using instruments from both cultures. Its crossovers and blends like these that bring people together and bright, cheerful pop makes it all the easier.

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Nov 18 2008, 19:46

Iron & Wine - Flightless Bird, American Mouth : Reco of the Week 18 Nov 08

Iron & Wine - Flightless Bird, American Mouth : Reco of the Week 18 Nov 08

Track: Flightless Bird, American Mouth (unavailable)
    Artist: Iron & Wine
    Albums: Twilight OST, The Shepherd's Dog
    Tags: , , , , , ,
    Video: aural upload featuring stills from the film, click the pic...

YouTube

The Twilight OST is set to be everyone's latest obsession and the movie hasn't even been released yet.

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Nov 25 2008, 21:00

Kanye West - Heartless : Reco of the Week 25 Nov 08

Kanye West - Heartless : Reco of the Week 25 Nov 08

Track: Heartless (full track)
    Artist: Kanye West
    Album: 808s & Heartbreak
    Tags: ,

So wrong and yet so right.

I said this would happen, that what is most reviled will enter the mainstream, and what is more reviled than the Vocoder? It's hard to say who murdered whom - the Vocoder or Cher?

The video I have chosen is for Heartless. It is animated throughout and notable for its cartoon portrayal of women. Cartoon as in real cartoons, not fake boobs and bikinis. In the background are cartoon figures and pop art. In keeping with the characteristics of pop art, detail is kept to a minimum, colours are flat, and borders and edges are drawn in black, except on Kanye and the girls who appear unfinished. Early on, the street scenes at night are pure Edward Hopper, whose urban cityscapes and themes of alienation had a huge influence on cinema. I really like the busy neon signs pseudo-montages, a familiar image from old movies showing life passing by contrasted against inner turmoil. If anybody didn't get that, it is made unmistakable by showing cartoon Kanye smoking. Busy neon signs and smoking as something cool are classic images from 1940s and 50s cinema. Using elements from film noir is in keeping with the theme of the song - the woman of questionable virtue, or the 'bad girl'. In Kanye West's song, she treated him badly. The video was produced and directed by Hype Williams.

(see journal for more)

Modificato da Babs_05 in data Gen 12 2011, 2:54
    • Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Dic 2 2008, 22:56

Coldplay - Lhuna (feat. Kylie) : Reco of the Week 02 Dec 08

Coldplay - Lhuna (feat. Kylie) : Reco of the Week 02 Dec 08

Track: Lhuna (feat. Kylie Minogue)
    Artist: Coldplay, Kylie

This feels like the James Bond theme that never was, it's so John Barry.

As fans will know, this is the track Chris Martin dropped from Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, deeming it "too sexy". It is that, and also unexpectedly dark, sultry and moody. I absolutely adore it and would go so far as to say it's the best thing they've ever done. It's true, it sounds nothing like Coldplay. Kylie we know is a frustrated experimental artist; it has just never worked out for her the way she would have liked. Pop is her friend, but experimental indie is where her heart is.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Dic 10 2008, 1:42

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Asleep on a Sixpence : Reco of the Week 09 Dec 08

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Asleep on a Sixpence : Reco of the Week 09 Dec 08

Track: Asleep On A Sixpence (full track)
    Artist: Isobel Campbell, Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan
    Album: Keep Me In Mind Sweetheart EP (15 Dec 08)

Last.fm

Sometimes, the only choice at Christmas is either Slade and Bing Crosby. If someone gives you a choice. Usually, people are so Christmas'd up, they're too excited to offer options. So it's either "It's Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiistmaaaaaaaaaas!!" yelled inches from your face, or crooning. Don't think if you stay at home you'll escape; someone will ring you.

For those of us looking for something a little different, either to impress or, quite simply, a break, there are a few options out there. You will have already heard, or formed an opinion, on Coldplay's Christmas EP, Prospekt's March EP, which, far from being an afterthought, was a clever way of tapping into the Christmas market without asking people to pay full album price. Similarly, Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan kept a few tracks back from their summer release, Sunday At Devil Dirt for their Christmas mini-release, Keep Me In Mind Sweetheart EP. It isn't available in the UK till next week, 15 December, but Last.fm has all 6 tracks fully streamable, on demand, unlimited play and auto-advance for this promotional period.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Dic 17 2008, 2:45

Emily Barker - Unreasonable Dream, Christmas Night : Reco of the Week 16 Dec 08

Emily Barker - Unreasonable Dream, Christmas Night : Reco of the Week 16 Dec 08

Track: Unreasonable Dream, Christmas Night (unavailable in Last.fm)
    Artist: Emily Barker
    Album: That Fuzzy Feeling EP (Static Caravan records)
    Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Listen here: www.myspace.com/jointhecircle

If you have been watching the BBC's adaptation of Wallander with Kenneth Branagh, you might have enjoyed the song over the title sequence. The song is a version of Nostalgia, by Emily Barker. However, it is her contribution to the Arctic Circle's Christmas EP that I want to draw your attention to.

Unreasonable Dream, Christmas Night is the meltiest loveliest Christmas song I have heard in a while and by far my favourite on the EP, which is doing well on UK radio already. It begins softly, sounding a little melancholy and bittersweet, gradually rising to a cheerful crescendo, and ends softly again.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Dic 30 2008, 22:17

Morrissey - I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris : Reco of the Week 30 Dec 08

Morrissey - I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris : Reco of the Week 30 Dec 08

Artist: Morrissey
    Track: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris (09 Feb 09)
    Album: Years of Refusal, Decca/Polydor (16 Feb 09)
    Tags: , , ,

YouTube (slideshow)

I really like this new(ish) song. He has been parading it for a while. Good news is, it will appear on the new album, Years of Refusal, due in the new year, and will be released as a single the week before, with two new songs, Because Of My Poor Education and Shame Is The Name, the latter featuring additional vocals by Chrissie Hynde. Something to look forward to! I want to tell you about how 2008 was for me, but I can't break my own rules about swearing in print (because that would hypocritical, obviously). Let's just say I hope 2009 is better and I am glad to have things to look forward to already.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Gen 7 2009, 0:07

The Dooleys - Wanted : Reco of the Week 06 Jan 09

The Dooleys - Wanted : Reco of the Week 06 Jan 09

Track: Wanted (1979) (full track)
    Artist: The Dooleys

I liked The Dooleys, but then I was bound to, being an ABBA fan. The Dooleys became the UK's answer to them. They weren't quite as good or as glamorous as ABBA, although I always thought Kathy Dooley (on the right in the video, long hair) was very beautiful, but they did do well with the layered female vocals. They managed to win a decent enough following and appear regularly on Top of the Pops. If you think you don't know who they are, try this for size. I bet you know it. Think I'm Gonna Fall In Love With You. And an interesting little factoid: their first single, Hands Across The Sea (1974), had a delayed release because Olivia Newton-John was singing it for Song For Europe.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Gen 14 2009, 1:19

A.R. Rahman - Riots : Reco of the Week 13 Jan 09

A.R. Rahman - Riots : Reco of the Week 13 Jan 09

Track: Riots (not available)
    Artist: A.R. Rahman
    Album: Slumdog Millionaire OST
    Tags: , ,

YouTube, aural upload

For starters, I was over the moon the soundtrack to Slumdog Millionaire includes Aaj Ki Raat, from Don The Chase Begins Again. Top tune! Not to mention M.I.A.'s Paper Planes, which I reviewed in more detail here.

You'd be forgiven for thinking Massive Attack had a hand in Riots. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find Rahman had been listening. There's a distinct trip-hop feel, a menacing mood and a sense of urban fear and panic. It's city music. Music of the slums.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Gen 28 2009, 4:53

Prince - Let's Go Crazy : Reco of the Week 20 Jan 09

Prince - Let's Go Crazy : Reco of the Week 20 Jan 09

Track: Let's Go Crazy
    Artist: Prince
    Album: Purple Rain (1984)
    Tags: , , , , ,

Google Video, clip from film, extended special dance mix

It's January 20th, 2009. Today is the day the world changes. From today, we have hope. Whilst life as we knew it collapses around us, the man people the world over are supporting is to be sworn in as America's 44th president. Barack Hussein Obama II.

There will be global partying tonight and not many people will make it into work tomorrow. I was going to pick Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Dancing in the Street for my reco this week, but then I thought of Let's Go Crazy, by Prince.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Gen 28 2009, 4:55

This Mortal Coil – Another Day : Reco of the Week 27 Jan 09

This Mortal Coil – Another Day : Reco of the Week 27 Jan 09

Track: Another Day
    Artist: Elizabeth Fraser for This Mortal Coil
    Album: It'll End in Tears, 4AD (1984)

YouTube

When I was at school, I got in the habit of borrowing cassette tapes from the library for 10p a week. I pretty much started at one end and worked my way across the shelves, nabbing new releases as they came in. This is how I heard what I consider to be a modern essential - This Mortal Coil - It'll End in Tears.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Feb 4 2009, 0:26

The Guggenheim Grotto - Her Beautiful Ideas : Reco of the Week 3 Feb 09

The Guggenheim Grotto - Her Beautiful Ideas : Reco of the Week 3 Feb 09

Track: Her Beautiful Ideas
    Artist: The Guggenheim Grotto
    Album: Happy The Man (27 Jan 09)

YouTube

It's a while since I recommended a track primarily for its video. I think this video for Her Beautiful Ideas is very well done. It uses stop motion animation and is tightly edited to match the song. There is lovely use of colour and the story flirts with interpreting the lyrics literally whilst keeping one foot in the realm of fantasy and imagination. It was produced, edited and directed by Aaron Copeland and Johnny Fitzsimmons. Read about the making of the video here.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Feb 10 2009, 23:50

Belle and Sebastian - I Don't Love Anyone : Reco of the Week 10 Feb 09

Journal: Belle and Sebastian - I Don't Love Anyone : Reco of the Week 10 Feb 09

Track: I Don't Love Anyone (full track)
    Artist: Belle and Sebastian
    Album: Tigermilk (1996)
    Tags: ,

YouTube

So let's go for Belle and Sebastian's I Don't Love Anyone, a perfect, upbeat, cheerfully bouncy, childish strop, taken from their debut, Tigermilk, which started out as an end of year project and only got big by accident. Throw a teddy bear at a cushion, kick the sofa and enjoy.

The video is charming. A bunch of lads practising on their skateboards till they get better. There are a few funny falls but it doesn't look like anyone broke any limbs. The lad at the end, swimming in water, is worth waiting for. I always wanted a skateboard. Never bloody had one, did I?! The video has an unusual feature in that the original sound is kept whilst the music is laid on top, so you hear the whoops and cheers of the boys and rolls and crashes of their skateboard wheels on concrete. Special effects are used carefully and unobtrusively. A good video all round.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Feb 18 2009, 1:30

Hot Chip - Transmission : Reco of the Week 17 Feb 09

Journal: Hot Chip - Transmission : Reco of the Week 17 Feb 09

Track: Transmission (full track)
    Artist: Hot Chip
    Album: War Child - Heroes Vol.1
    Tags: , , ,

YouTube - aural upload

It begins with the familiar bass and beat, you recognise it and think you know what's coming. For a whole minute, you think you know where you are. Then the vocals kick in. What the... ?? You can't decide if it's right or wrong. And how dare they. A classic. But wait... they sound restrained, respectful. Ok, you think you can go with that. But what's that steel drum doing there? You hear nothing else. "Dance, Dance, Dance" repeats in some sort of electro-dub. You listen closely, eyes narrowed, thinking. "Dance, Dance, Dance on the radio". You're sold. Smile. Decide it's good.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Feb 24 2009, 23:08

K.I.G DJ Dexter - Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toe : Reco of the Week 24 Feb 09

Journal: K.I.G DJ Dexter - Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toe : Reco of the Week 24 Feb 09

Track: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toe (listen here)
    Artist: K.I.G DJ Dexter
    Tags: your guess is as good as mine, , ,
    Video: Click the pic... (nothing to do with the song, mute the sound)

Hee hee. No, not the children's nursery rhyme. As if I'd reco that. Well... yeah I would. No, this is what some people are calling "UK funky", a sort of weird mix of , and , but a bit whey, a bit whoa, a bit .

I had a brainwave this evening and fired up YouTube, dug out one of Beyoncé's videos and muted the sound, then watched with this track from DJ Dexter open in another tab. Proper laugh out loud. Unfortunately, the video ends before the song, but it doesn't matter, those moments when everything synchs up and the choreography and lyrics match more than make up for it. Fantastic choreography in Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It), I have to say.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Mar 4 2009, 2:14

Bat For Lashes - The Big Sleep : Reco of the Week 03 Mar 09

Journal: Bat For Lashes - The Big Sleep : Reco of the Week 03 Mar 09

Track: The Big Sleep (Listen here at prefixmag)
    Artist: Bat for Lashes, featuring Scott Walker
    Album: Two Suns (6 April 09)

Spotlights coming down from heaven

No video this week. There is one in YouTube, a tribute to a film, but really, I think you should close your eyes and just listen. Or gaze at the pic above.

The Big Sleep is the closing track on Bat for Lashes' new album and it features Scott Walker. When you listen, it sounds like a short piece, I was surprised to see it's almost 3 mins long. You'll see what I mean when you listen. It seems to distort time. The only instrument you notice is a solitary, old piano, like the kind that accompanied movies back in the days before they had sound. Behind that are strings, drone sounds and distortion, but you don't hear them on first listen. Natasha Khan's beautiful, high-pitched voice holds you while Scott Walker's deep, dark voice creeps around the edges. She's the light and he's the shadow. Conscious and subconscious. The piano stops before the end and you notice the pulsing sound that appears half way through the song, like a heartbeat, which rises to a peak then suddenly cuts out. "It's curtains double-time." An abrupt end to a dreamy album.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Mar 11 2009, 3:11

Telefon Tel Aviv - You Are The Worst Thing In The World : Reco of the Week 10 Mar 09

Journal
    Telefon Tel Aviv - You Are The Worst Thing In The World : Reco of the Week 10 Mar 09

Track: You Are the Worst Thing in the World (not in Last.fm, stream at imeem)
    Artist: Telefon Tel Aviv
    Album: Immolate Yourself (2009)
    Tags: , , , , , , , ,

YouTube - aural upload

Standout track from one of the best albums of 2009. This version is the original, not the Sasha remix.

You Are the Worst Thing in the World begins with one of my favourite noises in industrial techno - percussion on what sounds like giant metallic factory pipes. I've no idea if they are but I love that sound. Telefon Tel Aviv have a perfect sense of timing, of when to repeat, when to hold and when to move on. In part, it's almost predictable, but you need that if you are to lift off and transport yourself. It's not the vocals that are the most important element here, it's the repetition of phrases and melodies, of shifts and changes and when they occur. It has to be exactly right because when you dance to this, you need it to pull you into the right zone. One wrong moment and the whole effect is ruined. This kind of electronica is extremely unforgiving. 'You Are The Worst Thing In The World' is an example of perfection. From the blippy popcorn and metallic factory pipes opener to the swooping and soaring frothiness of the main body, the music drifts away from reality. You find yourself following it, against your will and without thinking.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Mar 18 2009, 1:49

Griselda Sanderson - Irime (Ice Warrior) : Reco of the Week 17 Mar 09

Griselda Sanderson - Irime (Ice Warrior) : Reco of the Week 17 Mar 09

Track: Irime (Ice Warrior) (full track)
    Artist: Griselda Sanderson
    Album: Harpaphonics (Jan 2009)

I'd love it if Griselda Sanderson were this year's Basquiat Strings, the Mercury Award nominated mix of classical strings, jazz and world via Transylvania. Gris Sanderson's Harpaphonics is equally as innovative and possibly goes one better with the introduction of the nyckelharpa.

The track I chose for this week is 'Irime', largely because there is a video available in YouTube where you can see how Gris plays the nyckelharpa. I could copy and paste entire essays describing how complex it is but it's better to see. I'll add some links at the end of this journal as usual, in case anyone wants to know more. The video features Fumiaki Tanaka (choreography) with Gris on nyckelharpa, Alex Roth on guitar, Russell Harris on zarb. Powerful Sam Yeboah of Unity Train plays the djembe and Josh Stopford is on bass guitar. The video comes free with the album, donations from physical sales of which go to Sam's Project Okurase in Ghana.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Mar 26 2009, 0:05

Miranda Lee Richards - Life Boat : Reco of the Week 24 Mar 09

Journal: Miranda Lee Richards - Life Boat : Reco of the Week 24 Mar 09

Track: Life Boat
    Artist: Miranda Lee Richards
    Album: Light of X
    Video: Click the pic:

YouTube, official, acoustic version

She's at SXSW this week and has been interviewed by Last.fm's petergavin here.

My song for this week is Life Boat, which I haven't been able to stop playing. The acoustic version in the video is nice but it lacks the 'pixie fairy dust' the recorded version has, which to me is a touch of BETTY BLUE 37°2 le matin, in particular, Comme les Deux Doights de la Main - it's that guitar.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Apr 1 2009, 2:39

Extra Golden - Anyango : Reco of the Week 31 Mar 09

Journal: Extra Golden - Anyango : Reco of the Week 31 Mar 09

Track: Anyango (free download)
    Artist: Extra Golden
    Album: Thank You Very Quickly (09 Mar 09)

Last.fm

No video this week. I hope I've done one better by bringing you this free download.

Someone describing Anyango in Amazon says it "sounds like Jimmy Page grooving with Ali Farka Touré, a thrilling combination of different accented guitars calling and responding over explosive percussion."

The music blog I Rock Cleveland writes, ""Anyango," the first song to emerge from their third full length, Thank You Very Quickly, is rhythmic, funky, and has one smokin' hot, Southern guitar lick, cutting in and out of the mix, like someone mashed The Allman Brothers into an unsuspecting, but oh so willing, cut off an obscure world music compilation. Globalization never sounded so good."

They're both great descriptions. It sounds like classic rock, or blues rock maybe, mixed up with an African influence. On the other hand, you could also say it's a Kenyan band mixed up with American rock. Either way, you'd be right. And it doesn't really matter. What does matter is it's the real thing on both counts. Extra Golden is the joint project of two bands: Ian Eagleson's band Golden and Extra Solar Africa (the original band of Otieno Jagwasi and Onyango Wuod Omari).

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Apr 8 2009, 2:50

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero : Reco of the Week 07 Apr 09

Journal Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero : Reco of the Week 07 Apr 09

Track: Zero (full track)
    Artist: Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Album: It's Blitz! (March 09)

YouTube, official video

So on to this week's reco and the first single, Zero. Nothing much happens in the video apart from Karen O looking gorgeous and making everyone she meets on the high street happy. It doesn't sound like much but from Karen O's magic smile to the infectious and fake rock-y dance beat, it keeps you watching. She dances in the street, she dances in the rain, she dances on car roofs even. The guys looking cool and bored under the sale signs in the discount shop, with glitterball lights and shiny confetti is just brilliant. Very, very funny, and very now.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Apr 15 2009, 1:31

Scott Matthews - Fractured : Reco of the Week 14 Apr 09

Journal: Scott Matthews - Fractured : Reco of the Week 14 Apr 09

Track: Fractured (not yet available)
    Artist: Scott Matthews
    Album: Elsewhere (due 18 May)

YouTube, official video

Fractured is the forthcoming new single from Scott Matthews' second album, Elsewhere, due for release 18 May 09.

The video's cool, I must admit. Scott Matthews is the man in black watching nearby. Quite funny to see him all dressed up like that. He looks good. The first 22 seconds are silent save for the eagle screeching, then the music begins with an acoustic guitar and soft vocals. As the tension builds in the video, so the song gets louder and breaks out into rock.

(see journal for more)

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Apr 22 2009, 4:05

Easy Star All-Stars - Lovely Rita (feat. Bunny Rugs and U Roy) : Reco of the Week 21 Apr 09

Journal: Easy Star All-Stars - Lovely Rita (feat. Bunny Rugs and U Roy) : Reco of the Week 21 Apr 09

Track: Lovely Rita (feat. Bunny Rugs and U Roy)
    Artist: Easy Star All-Stars (13 April 09)
    Album: Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band

YouTube, amateur video

Easy Star All-Stars are basically a covers band but it's how they do what they do that's so special. With the utmost care and precision, with extremely careful attention to the smallest detail, they take apart and reimagine classic albums. They're not the only band to do so, there are plenty of others trying to do the same, but no one does it as well as Easy Star All-Stars.

Oooh! Rita!

So this week's reco, Lovely Rita (feat. Bunny Rugs and U Roy). The original, Lovely Rita, is a song that I've never been able to shift from my mind. So many things seem to trigger it: watching Rita in Coronation Street (above), seeing car parking meters, reading the meter for my electricity bill... there has been no escape! And yet I still love the song. The reworking is joyous, a bit slower, with some rasta chat to chill out to. The video I've chosen is an amateur work of old cine footage filmed around Vienna, Gumpoldskirchen, Hohe Wand, Burgenland and moedling set to the music.

(see journal for more)

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.