Favorite Miles Era

• webtoad ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Feb 10 2005, 17:17

Favorite Miles Era

Any ideas on what band or timeframe was Miles' best? Personally I'm a fan of the "Second Great Quintet" and the time through Bitches Brew and Jack Johnson. I don't think jazz saw a better grouping of musicians than the one that was working with Miles at that time.

• minty95 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mar 10 2005, 10:58
    I agree - anything from 'ESP' to 'Jack Johnson' is great. BTW, check out the 'complete jack johnson sessios' box set if you want to hear some great funky jazz

• There's no doubt that the Second Great Quintet was a group of some of the best musicians ever, but the first great Quintet was equally, if not moreso, awesome. Philly Joe was a role model for every drummer after him and affected such rock drummers like Mitch Mitchell. Paul Chambers was simply one of the greatest bassists ever. His lines and his rhythm were perfect. Red Garland--man, that guy could swing like there was no tomorrow. His 'comping and solos were just dead on. John Coltrane. 'Nuff said.

The Second Great Quintet did make incredible music and Miles made some of the best funk-rock-jazz-fusion-other music ever with all the records around the "Bitches Brew" period, if you want straight ahead, no nonsense swingin', hard-boppin' jazz, there's no better place than the First Quintet.

Miles had a knack for picking musicians who were truly great in their own right to play with.

• I sort of got into Miles Davis backwards. Before I got into jazz I was into mainly alternative rock. Although the first Miles CD I bought was Kind of Blue, I quickly became more interested in the mid to late 1960s. The drumming of Tony Williams just floored me, because the way he played the ride cymbal and snare drum sounds to me heavily influenced by rock - which makes sense considering he was so young. From there, I got into the even heavier stuff, first Bitches Brew then the concerts like Black Beauty, Live Evil, Dark Magus and finally Agharta / Pangaea. The period around '67/'68 when Miles started with electric keyboards and electric bass (and even George Benson on electric guitar) is a period that I am fascinated by. I play the Quintet '65 - '68 box more than even the Coltrane / Miles box. So, for me I think about '66 - '75 is my favourite period! I'm interested if people that got in to Miles after mainly listening to alternative rock, rather than jazz, feel the same?

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 28 2006, 4:18
    first album i got was bithces brew. whoa, what an introduction. needless to say, i soon after got my hands on (basically, almost literally) every single disc he put out from about '65-'75. i've listened to all periods of miles. the standout albums from the hardbop period are e.s.p., miles smiles, nefertiti, filles de kilimanjaro (if that counts as bop). some of my VERY favorite stuff of his (since all of it is shimmering and ecstasy-inducing) includes agharta, pangaea, in a silent way, bitches brew, dark magus, and the like. basically, i'm a "wayne shorter/tony williams/hancock/carter through mtume/reggie lucas/al foster/michael henderson/pete cosey" man.

• I'd agree with the first post. It's the 64-70 stuff that gets me the most.

And it's that very early electric period--a little before "Stuff", if you listen to some of the outakes CDs like Directions and Water on the Pond, up to around In a Silent Way--that I come back to most often.

What's amazing about that period, and I think especially the end of it, is that...yeah, they're all great groups of musicians, but they sound better to me in Miles's group than they do anywhere else. Tony Williams might be my fave musician ever, and his playing with Dolphy and on the solo records is wonderful, but it's in that quintet that he's just beyond belief beautiful. Same goes for me for a lot of those guys: Corea, Zawinul, Dave Holland, even Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter.

• I'd agree with the first post. It's the 64-70 stuff that gets me the most.

And it's that very early electric period--a little before "Stuff", if you listen to some of the outakes CDs like Directions and Water on the Pond, up to around In a Silent Way--that I come back to most often.

What's amazing about that period, and I think especially the end of it, is that...yeah, they're all great groups of musicians, but they sound better to me in Miles's group than they do anywhere else. Tony Williams might be my fave musician ever, and his playing with Dolphy and on the solo records is wonderful, but it's in that quintet that he's just beyond belief beautiful. Same goes for me for a lot of those guys: Corea, Zawinul, Dave Holland, even Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter.

• Utente
    • Mar 20 2007, 20:43
    1944 - 1955 for me!

The Birth Of Cool is one of my all time favorite albums to listen to.

• I'd have to go with the First Great Quintet, followed closely by the late '60s - early '70s. I just can't stop listening to either period lately, but they're so different.

• Tkig ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 1 2007, 23:25
    Well, though I really like Miles' music from every era, i must say that I like Miles' music in the 80s the most. I really like the records, where he worked together with Marcus Miller or Kenny Garrett. Especially Tutu and the Live in Paris thing are brilliant to me.

Reach out and touch faith.
  • 1. 55-60: Kind of blue, Round About Midnight, Milestones, Miles Ahead, Somethin Else....Coltrane, Bill Evans, Gil Evans. His most hypnotically beautiful music in that period, for me.
    2. 69-70: Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, revolutionary and awesome, the most intensely creative and powerful music.
    3. 64-68: ESP, Miles Smiles, Complete Concert...excellent stuff, musically very very clever, but a little intellectual rather than emotional for me to enjoy as much as 55-60 and 69-70.
    4. 71-75: Fascinating, often confusing, constantly changing. Culminates in the amazing Agharta/Pangaea live double.
    5. Pre-1955. Good but yet to become truly great.
    6. 80s: Aura is great, Tutu and Amandla, and Star People are good but the rest is forgettable and an insufficient testament to his genius.

• Utente
    • Apr 23 2007, 6:45
    jazz fusion.

• hobbit60 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 1 2009, 23:22
    First and Second quintets - no question. So 55 - 67 or so.

The best musicians in the world playing daring, but beautiful and melodic, music. Doesn't get any better.

Having said that - the Isle of Wight performance is mind-blowing.

• Jareen ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 26 2009, 4:33
    RIght now I'm lost in Dark Magus, Agharta and Pangaea...ordered the Agharta and Pangaea Japanese remasters for my birthday :) I also enjoy the 80s stuff, Bitches Brew/Jack Johnson, and any Electric Miles :D

• well its a cross between the fifties modal jazz/hard bop era and the late 60s/early 70s jazz fusion bitches brew era for me

"Child is the Father of the Man"
    • Utente
    • Dic 23 2011, 19:11
    I heard just a few things compared to everything he did. But The Bitches Brew Army is the best 'til now.

• Bitches Brew to Dark Magus

• Utente
    • Set 30 2013, 0:41
    1972-1976 for sure. On the Corner to Pangaea is one of the greatest spans of albums of any artist, ever

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.