Modern music you DO listen to

• Modern music you DO listen to

people here prefer older music, but what modern artists ARE you enthusiastic about? Despite my membership of this group, I'm not that proud of my 70's-centric tastes, and so I'm always delighted when I find modern music I like.

I absolutely adore Joanna Newsom, especially YS. I think it's one of the greatest albums of all time, and is endlessly rewarding on repeated listens. Epic without being pompous, and lyrically sublime. Her voice is annoyingly child-like on MILK EYED MENDER, but on YS it's completely unforced and utterly gorgeous.

Others;

Beck - not that modern, I suppose, but 2005's GUERO is one of my favourites.
    The Killers - SAM'S TOWN is great, and a huge improvement on their debut.
    The Strokes - Wonderfully melodic as well as raw and angsty. ROOM ON FIRE doesn't have a bad track on it.
    Ryan Adams - Reminds me of Neil Young. I don't like everything he's done, but GOLD and HEARTBREAKER are superb.
    Fleet Foxes - their production sound is a little too reverby, but the soundwriting is rock solid. I think they'll really turn out something special soon.
    The Coral - very spotty albums, but they're capable of writing some incredibly catchy acoustic folk tunes

hi
  • I think we've done this thread before but oh well.

The Horrors - Because they are trying to manipulate their ludicrously wide tastes into something completely brand new, I hope they eventually succeed. (Not that I think what they have made isn't some of the best and most original music around now) Also they are amazing live.

Screaming Tea Party - If I were to describe them in 'music journalist nonsense' language I would say "They are something like The Beach Boys mixed with The Velvet Underground by way of Sonic Youth." Sometimes art punky, sometimes mellow, their members come with a history of playing in noise bands as well as training in Japanese classical music.

Burial - Experimental dubstep

Bossk - Technically not new any more since they have already broken up but a very progressive metal band. Post metal even.

There's a lot more though.

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 26 2009, 22:05
    electriceyeonme said:
    If I were to describe them in 'music journalist nonsense' language I would say "They are something like The Beach Boys mixed with The Velvet Underground by way of Sonic Youth."

haha I love when people say stuff like that!

I don't prefer old music, that would be like saying I care more about when something was released than how it sounds

Some of my favorites though are Yo La Tengo, Stereolab, The Olivia Tremor Control, and The Microphones/Mount Eerie. They have all been around for a while, but continue to put out good new things (except The Olivia Tremor Control are on hiatus), so I think of them as modern.

As for 2009, I liked The Pains of Being Pure At Heart and new Camera Obscura, although the former suffers from over-hype. Condo Fucks' (Yo La Tengo in disguise) and Cymbals Eat Guitars' albums were disappointing for me.

I am behind though, I tend to catch up on things several months to a year late :(

• Emilie Autumn-One of the most unique and innovate musicians I have ever heard. Impossible to describe except for possibly "eclectic". Her interests span styles as diverse as Celtic fusion, Victorian classical music, industrial electronica, folk, hard rock and heavy metal, all of which get worked into her sound somehow. Her songwriting is also without compare-her music is at once some of the most gripping, fiery, vulnerable, charging, sardonic, hilarious, perceptive and simply poetic music I can think of. Even that, though doesn't do justice to how crazy, brilliant, creative and incredible this woman is.

Ladytron-Originally labeled as being part of the once-fashionable now-subject-of-jokes electroclash movement, Ladyton have made a name for themselves apart from that as the purveyors of intelligent and slightly aloof indie rock that seems to blend buzzy glam-rock with airy, electronic dream pop and stomping dancefloor beats. Every Ladyrton piece is a creative and immersive soundscape that will also make you think and often, get up and dance.

Freezepop-This band is pure fun. Although they'll never admit it, they seem to owe a great deal to early-1980s synthpop a la Gary Numan, Thomas Dolby and Soft Cell. Unlike those acts though, Freezepop is laid back, goofy and utterly self-aware-singing robotic pop songs about bike thieves, batteries and late-night raves. You also have to love a band that sequences most of their music on a Game Boy.

Protest the Hero-A really impressive young band that has a very distinctive sound that combines post-hardcore punk with visceral experimental metal. PtH have already created powerful music about the thoughts of a woman condemned to death and those of the people around her as well as the fall and rise of Goddess Worship as a metaphor for dynastic and epistemological cyclical change in two amazing concept albums. Their sound is incredibly diverse, especially on the latter album, blending their punk-metal intensity with creative swaths of sound like synth pads, audio effects and piano interludes.

The Appleseed Cast-Simply beyond comparison because every time you attempt to describe them, they defy it. An experimental indie rock bad that initially seemed to be in the tradition of Sunny Day Real Estate, they quickly moved away from anything that would at all resemble "emo" and created a unique sound that's more akin to post-rock. Even that doesn't do them justice though because each album is a unique, standalone work and no one album can really be compared to another. Song topics have reanged from the emotions and seasons surrounding the ocean to spiritual meditations on death and memory. Suffice to say I'm constantly amazed.

• almost everything post 1993 i listen to is sludge and stoner/southern metal. there are some pretty good bands, electric wizard, high on fire, floodgate, crowbar, acid bath, eyehategod... there's also more rock oriented bands like black label society, down, mustache, alabama thunderpussy who are very good.

• amymillard The Pains of Being Pure At Heart

friends of mine

• Utente
    • Apr 27 2009, 21:11
    IanCurtis13 said:
    amymillard The Pains of Being Pure At Heart

friends of mine

really? that's pretty cool.
    gotta love this bit in their profile:
    Imagine if the Ramones traded in their leather jackets for anoraks, or Stephen Pastel actually threw Aggi off the bridge and married Black Tambourine’s Pam Berry and had four babies that formed a pop band.

• Utente
    • Apr 27 2009, 23:02
    My descriptions are very stupid and entirely unnecessary. Ah well.

Sonic Youth - are they modern? are they classic? Who knows. But are they awesome? Fuck yeah.

Beck - he, er, defies description.

The White Stripes - led me to a lot of fantastic older stuff. The Stooges, classic garage, original lo-fi blues, The Gun Club...

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - yeah!

Be Yr Own Pet - let's ride bikes and fuck shit up.

Franz Ferdinand - everyone and their grandmother knows who they are.

Arcade Fire - see Franz.

Guillemots - lovely dreamy indie pop. Helmed by a guy called Fyfe Dangerfield... you know you wanna listen to 'em now, just because of that name. Don't lie.

Lily Allen - oh shut up. Good pop is good pop, and she's different from these other tabloid tarts.

Deerhunter - ambient garage?

IAMX - glitter, coke, synths, Berlin.

Vivian Girls - Black Tamborine x The Shangri Las)/Ramones buzzsaw guitars.

• yvonnetb ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 28 2009, 10:30
    Green Day - What can I say? They led me to The Kinks. Therefore they are more than awesome. And music-wise they may have let some people down by "going mainstream", but thanks to that I found out about them and realised I shouldn't be some mainstream hater. And I love the new stuff I'm hearing from them.

The Ark - A mix between ABBA and David Bowie, high 70's influenced glam rock, some gospel plus controversial lyrics. I adore it.
    IAMX - Idk? I like what theansweris42x said..
    Depeche Mode - From their early synthpop to their modern dark electronic-rock. They still do it for me.
    Enter Shikari - A mix of electronica and post-hardcore? You have me.
    Razorlight/The Wombats/Franz Ferdinand - My favourites in the indie rock that I adore so much.
    Justice/MSTRKRFT - Electronica/dance.
    Lady GaGa - Sue me.
    Scissor Sisters - Modern glam rock/disco with a high gay-level. Yesss.
    Silverstein - They made me fall in love with post-hardcore.

• amymillard said:
    IanCurtis13 said:

friends of mine

Imagine if the Ramones traded in their leather jackets for anoraks, or Stephen Pastel actually threw Aggi off the bridge and married Black Tambourine’s Pam Berry and had four babies that formed a pop band.

The second time I met them, we discussed John Wayne being a fag and Portland, Oregon.

• A few more:

S.C.U.M - Echoey electro, like a Einsturzende Neubauten/Suicide car crash.

Selfish Cunt - Metallic political punk with added camp singer.

TV On The Radio - Just listen to them

• Utente
    • Apr 28 2009, 19:34
    yvonnetb said:
    Lady GaGa - Sue me.

Ahaha, I don't know if I love her or hate her, but Lady GaGa is kinda fascinating. I've listened to "Poker Face" approximately a zillion times this week.

• Utente
    • Apr 29 2009, 1:50
    IanCurtis13 said:
    amymillard said:
    IanCurtis13 said:

friends of mine

The second time I met them, we discussed John Wayne being a fag and Portland, Oregon.

They're coming to a city close to mine this June, and I'll be out of school by then, so I'm going to try and see them live.

• Utente
    • Apr 29 2009, 1:57
    theansweris42x said:

Sonic Youth - are they modern? are they classic? Who knows. But are they awesome? Fuck yeah.

all of the above!
    looking forward to their new album.

• Utente
    • Apr 29 2009, 1:59
    amymillard said:
    theansweris42x said:

all of the above!
    looking forward to their new album.

It's awesome!

I wish I'd held out 'till the release date, though. Hahaha.

• Utente
    • Apr 29 2009, 6:47
    Has it leaked?

I dunno if I'll download it though. I sort of like the idea of waiting in anticipation and then going to the record store to buy it on the first day it's released, as that's an experience I've never had before! I'm pretty sure it's released in Australia a couple of weeks later than everywhere else though ><

Personally, I don't really listen to much modern music other than the bands that have already been listed, but I'll definitely be checking some of these out.

• Elentine ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 29 2009, 21:08
    Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (definite favourite!), Primus, Radiohead, Elliot Smith, Fleet Foxes, Kaiser Chiefs, The Raconteurs, ... Not all of these are absolute favourites, but I enjoy listening to them from time to time.

For a lot of my favourite music I could say 'I was born 5 years too late'. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Kyuss, Temple of the Dog, Jeff Buckley,...

And then metal(ish): old Metallica, Pantera, Crowbar, Slayer, Down, Death, Anathema, Opeth, ...

• amymillard said:
    I don't prefer old music, that would be like saying I care more about when something was released than how it sounds

it doesn't. it means the majority of your music listening is of older artists.

hi
    • Utente
    • Apr 29 2009, 23:49
    Crustclock said:
    amymillard said:

it doesn't. it means the majority of your music listening is of older artists.

Which makes sense considering there is a whole lot more "old" music than new. It was just the word prefer that bothered me...

• amymillard said:
    Which makes sense considering there is a whole lot more "old" music than new. It

haha! Actually that's what I always say when friends tell me that I only ever listen to old music. It makes sense to you and I but not most people. Still, you can really like two things and still 'prefer' one or the other.

hi
    • The_Kai ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 5 2009, 7:37
    Sludge is in. Black metal can be interesting. Thats it for nows.

• Franz Ferdinand - they're not only new, they're becoming mainstream. Pretty much the only band (besides one Panic at the Disco song) my peers recognize on my mp3 player.
    Placebo
    The Killers
    Buck 65
    Bebe and Zoé - modern Spanish artists
    Imogen Heap/Frou Frou
    Death Cab for Cutie & the Postal Service
    Yeah even my modern music isn't really that well known.

• The only post-89 music I listen to is made by pre-89 artists. That's it.

• Utente
    • Mag 25 2009, 9:11
    Uh, this might seem like a silly question but why do you think music suddenly became shit after 89? Did every new band suddenly run out of inspiration and talent? Because, really wouldn't that be a gradual process, not something you can affix to a certain point in time?

I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm genuinely curious.

• Utente
    • Mag 25 2009, 10:05
    WalterDigsTunes defines the meaning of this group hehe

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.