Whats your Favorite Band member and Why

• Jonno123 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 8:01
    A basic song doesn't equal a bad song. It's just that simple plan's music all sounds the same.

• Mez1 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 8:02
    A basic song doesn't make the song bad.

A basic song structure used repeatedly for every song makes the band bad and the songs bad since there is no originality.

I wish my lawn was emo - then it would cut itself. Another "Controversial" Journal
    Join It's all about emo bashing if you are sick of the emo culture.
    Cunning Lynguist - Music Advice Center, don't be stuck in a groove.
    • Jonno123 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 8:05
    Exactly.

• Jazz13 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 8:07
    30 year old men shouldn't be singing songs about how hard it is to be a kid or how life isn't fair. No shit life isn't fair, you should know that by now you fucking whiney morons. Wah WAH has everybody gone crazy?? Is anybody gonna save me?? DADDY DADDY Why do I hate YOU?? Christ, Simple Plan is goddamn awful music and I shouldn't get worked up about it this close to bed. They are the musical equivalent of smegma. *slits wrists*

• Obviously I think creativity lies in more than how many chords an artist knows :) And obviously I also disagree that every song sounds the same. I can however, at least understand why someone else would think that, up to Insomniac, but starting with Nimrod, I just really don't see how anyone can be honest and say every song sounds the same, sorry.

And you're right Jazz, it's a good idea for thirty year old men to grow up a bit. But zomg, Green Day ventures into their politics (definitely more grown up then writing every song about a girl or drugs) and they are "cash cows" and "sellouts." So... ?

**whatsername!**
    • Jonno123 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 8:28
    Politics doesn't make good music either. Good music is music that is interesting to listen to and stimulates the brain. About 99% of people don't listen to music. They just hear music. There is a massive difference to hearing and actually listening to music.

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 9:06

Re:

Nevermind this bullcrap.... :/

Modificato da un utente eliminato in data Dic 27 2008, 21:57
    • pazifist ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 15:48

Re:

Quoth Jonno123:
    Politics doesn't make good music either. Good music is music that is interesting to listen to and stimulates the brain. About 99% of people don't listen to music. They just hear music. There is a massive difference to hearing and actually listening to music.

And your almighty god to judge this?

And all of a sudden, you were one with the freaks.
    • Jonno123 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 15:50
    Damn straight. I'm not saying that music and politics shouldn't be mixed, quite the contrary in fact. I'm just saying that just because you have a political message in music doesn't automatically make the music good.

• pazifist ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 15:54

Re:

Quoth Jonno123:
    Damn straight. I'm not saying that music and politics shouldn't be mixed, quite the contrary in fact. I'm just saying that just because you have a political message in music doesn't automatically make the music good.

actually I meant the second part of your statement, because right now you're sounding like "Hey you guys are posers anyways and I'm the king and could rock you away!"...anyways I just wanted to bring this discussion back to topic...

• Jonno123 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 15:57
    No, I didn't mean that at all. I just raised the issue that most people don't actually pay attention to the music they 'listen' to. They just hear music, which there is nothing wrong with.

• Well I totally disagree with the notion that to truly listen to music you have to understand the timings and beat changes. Music is far more intuitive than that. Proof in point I never really learned to read music, but that's because I didn't have to, as a singer I can just pick up a beat really easily and can harmonize because I simply instinctively know how to blend it all together. So I think it's unfair to say everyone who doesn't experience music a certain way aren't truly listening to it.

And indeed, politics does not make music good. But my point was that they have tackled more "grown up" issues, which is what I thought Jazz was asking of them, and she still doesn't like the later albums. I just thought that was rather odd. But maybe she was just taking a moment to bitch about another band and that was all.

**whatsername!**
    • Jazz13 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2006, 20:49
    You guys should listen to Dream Theater instead. That's stimulating.

They're excellent. I definitely need to find more music by them.
    And indeed, politics does not make music good. But my point was that they have tackled more "grown up" issues, which is what I thought Jazz was asking of them, and she still doesn't like the later albums. I just thought that was rather odd. But maybe she was just taking a moment to bitch about another band and that was all.

I was just ripping on Simple Plan.

• my mistake, sorry. :)

**whatsername!**
  • my mistake, sorry. :)

**whatsername!**
    • pazifist ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 17 2006, 13:52

Re:

Quoth Jonno123:
    No, I didn't mean that at all. I just raised the issue that most people don't actually pay attention to the music they 'listen' to. They just hear music, which there is nothing wrong with.

OK, then I'm sorry for getting you wrong.

Quoth serenitysedai:
    Well I totally disagree with the notion that to truly listen to music you have to understand the timings and beat changes. Music is far more intuitive than that. Proof in point I never really learned to read music, but that's because I didn't have to, as a singer I can just pick up a beat really easily and can harmonize because I simply instinctively know how to blend it all together. So I think it's unfair to say everyone who doesn't experience music a certain way aren't truly listening to it.

I agree. There is an idiom in Germany, which would be translated in English "It is more than the sum of the single parts". It don't matter if you don't get the certain aspects, as long as you get the whole. And for this part, I even think people without too much musical knowledge are better off, because they have a better distance, whereas the others are caught in the detail.

• Utente
    • Giu 17 2006, 14:59

Re:

Quoth serenitysedai:
    Well I totally disagree with the notion that to truly listen to music you have to understand the timings and beat changes. Music is far more intuitive than that. Proof in point I never really learned to read music, but that's because I didn't have to, as a singer I can just pick up a beat really easily and can harmonize because I simply instinctively know how to blend it all together. So I think it's unfair to say everyone who doesn't experience music a certain way aren't truly listening to it.

Still, you haven't taken into product all of the pieces of the music. And as a musician I'd like to say that it is quite important to pick up the small parts tp fully enjoy the song.
    Still, I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy the song as a whole, only that music gets truly interesting if you understand it.

• Bren_den ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 17 2006, 15:46

Re: Re:

Quoth Lilldjuret90:
    Quoth serenitysedai:

Still, you haven't taken into product all of the pieces of the music. And as a musician I'd like to say that it is quite important to pick up the small parts tp fully enjoy the song.
    Still, I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy the song as a whole, only that music gets truly interesting if you understand it.

I'm going to have to back this up. Being a musician and listening to music sometimes makes my jaw drop in appreciation, where as if I weren't a musician I would dismiss it as just another part of a song. Plus, non-musicians seem to listen to music mostly for the lyrics... I prefer great musicianship that paints a more vivid mental picture than the words could make.

• Utente
    • Giu 17 2006, 16:57

Re: Re: Re:

Quoth Bren_den:
    Quoth Lilldjuret90:
    Quoth serenitysedai:

I'm going to have to back this up. Being a musician and listening to music sometimes makes my jaw drop in appreciation, where as if I weren't a musician I would dismiss it as just another part of a song. Plus, non-musicians seem to listen to music mostly for the lyrics... I prefer great musicianship that paints a more vivid mental picture than the words could make.

Couldn't have said this better myself. :)

• Of course I totally agree that you appreciate different things when you're coming from a musical background. I know I appreciate the vocal harmonies of a nice voice more than people who don't sing. *nods*

**whatsername!**
    • Mez1 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 17 2006, 20:09
    Another musician here.

I agree, when you know about music you analyze it more and hear more "things" within the music.

It also makes you a bigger critic of artists.

I wish my lawn was emo - then it would cut itself. Another "Controversial" Journal
    • Utente
    • Giu 17 2006, 21:09

Re:

Quoth Mez1:
    Another musician here.

I agree, when you know about music you analyze it more and hear more "things" within the music.

It also makes you a bigger critic of artists.

Which results in better taste. ;) Or something

• Mez1 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 17 2006, 21:15
    Lol actually i rarely listen to the instrument i play anymore!

But yes when i did, my taste changed for the better!

• Utente
    • Giu 17 2006, 22:48
    You look for the music where your instrument is dominant and therefore you change your taste. Now, as I'm a bit more experienced, I listen to all of the specific pieces in music there is. So progressive metal is what I'm really into nowadays.

• different isn't necessarily "better" :P

**whatsername!**
Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.