• Utente
    • Apr 9 2006, 18:22

Whats your Favorite Band member and Why

Billie Joe cuz hes so hott and hes the best guitarist/ singer in the world

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 10 2006, 12:31

The best GD member

I think all three of them are quite hansome, but Billie Joe is the best :-) He's so cute with eyeliner <3

• chateve ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 20 2006, 14:43
    Tre. He is the best musician in the band.

• RaisA_ ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 20 2006, 15:35
    Tre. he's a very great drummer
    He's also so funny! XD

• Utente
    • Apr 22 2006, 7:28
    I like Billie Joe, the most ^^,
    But Tre and Mike are cool too x)

• D-mon ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 23 2006, 15:23
    Mike is the best fuckin bassplayer in the world!

>> We are the few that won't say nothing right, we are the footsteps fading into the night <<
    • Bren_den ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 23 2006, 19:04
    None of the members of Green Day are the best at anything in the world, except for when it comes to being shit.

• Wow, you're so very clever for saying that.
    I'm sure that will change EVERYONE'S mind.
    So what are you doing in a "shitty" group's thread, anyhow?

• Bren_den ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 23 2006, 21:50
    Stating my opinion like everyone else. I don't actually dislike Green Day that much, just people who think that Billy Joe is the best guitarist/singer in the world and that Mike is the best bassist in the world.

• Utente
    • Apr 24 2006, 2:49
    u spelt Billie Joe's name wrong

• Congratulations... you have won the award for most ironic post ever.

If you are going to rag on someone's spelling, its best not to make spelling mistakes in your post. ;-)

I don't want to think about it, who, what, when, or where. I don't want to think about it, I don't really care. I don't want to think about creating something new. I don't want to think about it because I've got much better things to do - just like you
  • Hmm...
    That's a hard decision.
    Tre.
    I relate to him the most.
    With the crazy-ness.
    But, they all have their moments. ^^

• D-mon ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 24 2006, 16:09

Re:

Quoth Bren_den:
    Stating my opinion like everyone else. I don't actually dislike Green Day that much, just people who think that Billy Joe is the best guitarist/singer in the world and that Mike is the best bassist in the world.

By looking through your profile, I assume you listen to metal, so you never heard anyone who actually knows how to play an instrument, so your unawareness is excusable!

>> We are the few that won't say nothing right, we are the footsteps fading into the night <<
    • Utente
    • Apr 24 2006, 19:25
    How can I choose? They are all amazing, but in different ways.

• Bren_den ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 25 2006, 19:09

Re: Re:

Quoth D-mon:
    Quoth Bren_den:

By looking through your profile, I assume you listen to metal, so you never heard anyone who actually knows how to play an instrument, so your unawareness is excusable!

This is the type of ignorance that Green Day fans are notorious for. I will agree with you that most metal, and probably all that you have heard, does in fact suck terribly. However, if you step out of your Green Day-fan stereotype for 5 minutes and listen to something from my list (try Empyrium, for example) you will see that your assumption is very wrong. In fact, I encourage everyone reading this to go through Last.fm and find an artist they have never heard of before and give them a chance, whatever genre they might be. Report back here with your responses.

• D-mon ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 25 2006, 21:10

Re: Re: Re:

Quoth Bren_den:
    This is the type of ignorance that Green Day fans are notorious for. I will agree with you that most metal, and probably all that you have heard, does in fact suck terribly. However, if you step out of your Green Day-fan stereotype for 5 minutes and listen to something from my list (try Empyrium, for example) you will see that your assumption is very wrong. In fact, I encourage everyone reading this to go through Last.fm and find an artist they have never heard of before and give them a chance, whatever genre they might be. Report back here with your responses.

Well, maybe it would've been better if I completed my statements with some sort of emoticons.
    Of course not every kind of metal sucks, also some metal bands actually know how to play their instruments.
    One also can't say that someone is 'the best whatever instrument player in the world', because a very important word in music is SUBJECTIVITY.
    So if somebody states, that Billie Joe is the best guitar player, then it's right for him.
    But you should try to step out of your stereotypes of Green Day fans, before you try to proselytize someone else.
    Long story short, i think most metal sucks, you think green day sucks, so there's no big deal.
    But you should try to accept others opinions, or just continue spreading the stereotype of the dumb, ignoring metal fan.

• Bren_den ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 25 2006, 21:47

Re: Re: Re: Re:

1) Quoth D-mon: "...I assume you listen to metal, so you never heard anyone who actually knows how to play an instrument..."

Quoth D-mon:"Of course not every kind of metal sucks, also some metal bands actually know how to play their instruments."

2) Quoth greendaylover:"Billie Joe cuz ... hes the best guitarist/ singer in the world"

Quoth D-mon: One also can't say that someone is 'the best whatever instrument player in the world...

Quoth D-mon: Mike is the best fuckin bassplayer in the world! - sarcasm?

Anyway, I am at fault for coming in here and stirring things up for no reason.

• D-mon ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 25 2006, 22:36
    it seems you didn't read my post at all...

• Subjectivity

Quoth D-mon:

One also can't say that someone is 'the best whatever instrument player in the world', because a very important word in music is SUBJECTIVITY.
    So if somebody states, that Billie Joe is the best guitar player, then it's right for him.

*Ahem: WRONG. Subjectivity is only relevant when discussing matters of OPINION or TASTE, in which there can be no real definition of "good" or "bad" (at least not for relativists like yourself). However, when discussing things such as a person's proficiency at an instrument, there are certain and definite OBJECTIVE standards that cannot be challenged. Someone who's never even seen a guitar before is OBJECTIVELY worse than someone who's been playing diligently for 30 years. If someone thinks that B.J. is the greatest guitar player in the world, he is objectively WRONG. It doesn't mean that I'm closed-minded, it means that this person is IGNORANT. Try John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Frusciante, etc., etc. for real, true talent and ability. The fact is that B.J. doesn't even pretend to claim to be anything close to the greatest guitarist in the world, and he would probably laugh in your face if you suggested that he is.

• How can you think anyone of them looks 'hot'? Their not the fucking backstreet boys.
    My fave members probably Mike Dirnt, hes so funny and fucking ace at bass!

• D-mon ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 4 2006, 12:07

Re: Subjectivity

Quoth benever4ever:
    [...] bla [...]

ahem WRONG!
    i said its right for HIM, so if you say Steve Vai etc. are true talented so it's right for YOU, but not for ME, because it sounds for me like they're killing some kind of animal.
    There is no objectivity in playing music instruments, because different kinds of music need different kinds of abilities.
    So tell Steve Vai he should take part in a jazz band, you'll see how he'll fuck up with his skills!
    And again, please understand my posts before answering shit. I'd appreciate that.

• pazifist ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 4 2006, 17:39
    I'd prefer the guitar-player of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers

And all of a sudden, you were one with the freaks.
  • Well, I have a few questions for you. You should know that I have taken considerable measures to calm myself after reading your post.

You do realize that by granting validity to anyone's personal opinion, you willingly create infinite logical impossibilities and endless contradictions? You acknowledge the power of every person to will his own beliefs into truth, while at the same telling me that I'm wrong? What if I think that the universe revolves around the earth and stars are in fact shiny metal objects fixed in glass spheres surrounding earth that slowly turn and make patterns in the sky? What if I were to tell you that there are 4 basic elements of all matter, earth, wind, fire and water? What then? If I say, it, it's right! At this level, even empiricism is discounted on all fronts. How do you justify the co-existence of 2 or more inherently and inextricably contradictory truths? How can you? How can we know anything if all truth is entirely subjective?

Before you accuse me of "making big leaps and bounds to irrational conclusions" or something of the like, let me ask you, where should this undefinable and impossible relativism end, and why? There can be no end to this type of relativism, and there can be no reason why!

On a less philosophical level, I should ask you: do you know who Steve Vai is? Do you know anything about musical theory? Do you know anything about jazz? Do you know what a note is? Do you know what a mode is? Do you know what polyphony is? Do you know what polyrhythmics and polymetrics are? Do you know what a time signature is? Do you know what a scale is? Do you know what an interval is? Do you know how to read music? Have you ever had any kind of musical training at all?

I personally am not a big fan of Steve Vai's music (it sounds pretty crappy to me, too), but just because I don't like his music doesn't mean I can't acknowledge his proficiency at the instrument. He is clearly, irrefutably better at his instrument than, say, a drummer who has never picked up a guitar before. That is obvious, objective fact.

There is a difference between fact and opinion. Sure, you are entitled to your opinion, even if it's ignorant, about a guitar player's skills. That does not change the FACT that Steve Vai possesses much greater manual dexterity at his instrument, dexterity than can be measured! This is like saying that Michael Jordan is no better than my 3 year old cousin is at basketball because there are no standards. All you have to do is observe and compare the numbers to see an objective difference, and a plain superiority.

According to you, I could say that my cat is better than Flo Mounier, and it is truth. I can say that I am better than Franz Liszt, and it is truth. I can say that I am better than Jeff Loomis (I've been playing for 3 years), and it is truth because I say so. You deny objectivity, and establish every single person as a fountain of eternal truth. According to you, the individual invents all meaning, all value and all substance on every plain of existence, while at the same time another individual invents perfectly contradictory truths, and somehow this makes sense to you?

I am extremely interested in your hideously erroneous beliefs, so please do not cut off the discussion. I end with the hope that you can understand this post so that we may continue our argument.

• Utente
    • Mag 5 2006, 2:48
    Do you even have to ask. The dude said their guitarist was the best in the world.

The Ku Klux Klan isn't capible of that kind of ignorance.

If there was a contest for greatest sellouts, I think Greenday would win hands down. Not that I'm saying they were good in the first place. Greenday is one of those bands that epitomizes the death of musicianship today's mainstream.

Their bassist and drummer are also awful. Incase any of you care, check out Victor Wooten(bassist) and Mike Portnoy(drummer).

• D-mon ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 5 2006, 11:47
    @omgvlad
    if you're statement is about me, you should really learn to read.

@benever4ever
    If I were arguing with you in my mother language, I could also fill half of my post with philosophical nonsense, but i'll stay with the facts.
    Obviously you can't compare sports and music, but that you did, shows, that you aren't really into music as you pretend to be.
    First of all, I'd like to repeat myself, because i think you didn't get one point at all: If someones telling 'damn, that guy down the street is the fucking greatest basketball player', then maybe HE thinks he is the best player because he slam-dunks the ball by doing 24 sommersaults while shaving his cat, but if it comes to playing against some guy who has a totally great aim and flexibility, he totally sucks.
    Well back to the music (and yes, I know how to read notes, and I also play instruments myself but won't consider myself as 'best player of whatever').
    You're saying music is objective and measureable, so on what scale do you measure it? The Guitar-O-Meter?
    Of course it's a difference if you can't play an instrument at all, or if you have years of experience. I thought i didn't have to mention that at all, because I thought our conversation was on a higher level than showing off the difference between 'don't know how to touch a guitar without cutting my fingers' and 'i pretty damn know, what i'm doing'.
    I'm just saying, that there's no measuring of high level skills in different kinds of music.
    Like I said, you can tell that Steve Vai knows how to play his instrument in his music genre, but if you're coming to another genre, (I suppose) he won't be able to get into the music and play along.
    I think you take music more as a theoretically thing, than something you have to actually feel, which is pretty bad in my opinion, but if thats you're kind of measuring music, than it's okay for you.

Besides, you should really improve your social skills in arguments, cause with acting like the person you're arguing with is a 3 year old child, you're maybe impressing some kids with a lack of self confidence, but I pretty much can't take you serious at all after reading your 2 posts.
    But after all this will be my last statement, because it's kind of hard for me to argue in english and takes way to much time, which is far too precious for me, than wasting it by arguing with someone who takes music as theoratically as math and is able to write that much of a response which would actually fit into one sentence.

But thanks anyways, that tightened my opinion about illiberal metal fans again, and why I have very few of them in my circle of acquaintances.

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.