What R U Listening 2 Right Now?

• pjebsen ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Mag 22 2007, 1:02

What R U Listening 2 Right Now?

Let's talk about particularly noteworthy albums we are listening to right now ...

• pjebsen ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Mag 22 2007, 1:22

Angélique Kidjo: Djin Djin

I just downloaded Angélique Kidjo's latest album Djin Djin from emusic.com. It's wonderful!

From a review at allmusic.com:
    >> With its many moods, fusions of styles, exploration of serious issues, uplifting themes, and alternately haunting or infectious melodies, Djin Djin is a stunning set, enhanced by the efforts of the fabulous musicians within and Tony Visconti's masterful production. <<

From allmusic.com's biography of Angélique Kidjo:
    >> Afro-funk, reggae, samba, salsa, gospel, jazz, Zairean rumba, zouk, and makossa are combined through the music of soulful, Benin-born, Paris-based vocalist Angélique Kidjo. <<

I first heard about Angélique Kidjo when she released her album Aye in 1994.

I also saw her live at the time ... one of the best concerts of that year!

• KRS-One's rhymes are just out of this world. Hard to believe he'd already been in the game nearly a decade when he dropped these. And he's not just notable for his skills of course, but for his content. Edutainment indeed.

Two of my favorite reggae albums at the moment. Probably of all time as well. Just classic harmonies and great tunes.

• Oooh, Two Sevens Clash is one of my faves from the roots reggae era. But lately I've been listening to early 80s dub from England like this:

It's streamable btw as Creation Rebel/New Age Steppers. That On-U stuff is impressive including Singers & Players. There's actually an interesting blues cum modern studio mashup under the name Little Axe. Not for the purist but these are both excellent albums:

Since pjebsen brought up Africans, I've got a few of those in that I've been listening to over the past year or so.

The first is Lobi Traore's "Mali Blue". That is a fantastic compilation, 75mins of nonstop riffs and soulful singing. He's a little different from some of the African guitarists, he is willing to play with more wah wah sound, maybe like Buddy Guy. I highly recommend it

Another one that I've listened to pretty steadily is MALIcool. I'm not sure this one will appeal to very many, but it features veteran jazz trombonist playing with griot Toumani Diabate and his band. It works out suprisingly well. The liner notes are interesting too, Rudd notes that the Africans just could not get the hang of playing Thelonious Monk, to the effect that Monk's music requires that when things start cooking, you have to move on to the next section. The album is interesting, in that the musicians eventually find a way to get to reach some agreement.

To wander in the fields of flowers, pull the thorns from your heart.
    • itsmia ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 26 2007, 17:05
    karma by Alicia Keys:D

• Composition/Improvisation Nos. 1, 2, and 3 by Roscoe Mitchell is the album I am currently stuck on...followed by Mike ladd and Vijay Iyer "Still Life with Commentator" and "Hip-Hop Lives" by KRS One and Marley Marl...all new albums i know but if an album is good its good

"It never got weird enough for me."
    http://thedjjazzpants.blogspot.com/
    • pjebsen ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Mag 29 2007, 22:07

Basie & Beyond

The Quincy Jones - Sammy Nestico Orchestra: Basie & Beyond

Relaxed playing, nice sound!

• pjebsen ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Mag 30 2007, 0:54

One of my Favorite New Orleans Albums of all Time

Wild Tchoupitoulas: Wild Tchoupitoulas

Feat. The Neville Brothers - Aaron Neville sounds particularly great!

Favorite songs: Meet The Boys On The Battlefront, and the 7-minute track Indian Red

AllMusic.com sez: >> (...) The fact that The Wild Tchoupitoulas ranks among the great New Orleans albums isn't because of the Nevilles themselves, but the way the Wild Tchoupitoulas lock into an extraordinary hybrid that marries several indigenous New Orleans musics, with swampy, dirty funk taking its place in the forefront. <<

• Listening to Donny again

play it from the heart otherwise dont play it at all
    • CoolJack ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 14 2007, 15:28
    Papa Charlie Jackson - Four Eleven Fourty Four

• LittleZe ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 16 2007, 7:41
    At this moment The Time

• Burnt Sugar Black Sex Y'all Liberation and Random Bloody Violets.

jazzoetry is poetry--last poets
    In my writing I am acting as a map maker, an explorer of psychic areas, a cosmonaut of inner space, and I see no point in exploring areas that have already been thoroughly surveyed--William S. Burroughs
  • Anthony Braxton- 9 Compositions (Iridium) 2006

"It never got weird enough for me."
    http://thedjjazzpants.blogspot.com/
    • pjebsen ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Lug 22 2007, 21:58

Carl Carlton

His song She's a Bad Mama Jama (1982, aka She's A Bad Mama Jama (She's Built, She's Stacked)) is one of my favorite disco/funk tracks of all time. I wasn't aware of the fact that he started recording in 1964 already, as Little Carl Carlton ...

• Spice 1 - 187 He Wrote (1993)

just some good ol' gangsta rap from one of the best gangsta rappers

Point blank, I spell murder to a bum. All you backwards rappers...RED RUM RED RUM!
    • pjebsen ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Ago 13 2007, 22:42

Bootsy's Rubber Band: Live In Houston '76

I'm returning to the good old stuff after having had a funky weekend with good new stuff: "Superbad" (with Bootsy, Bernie, and the Funky Drummers), and the latest by Public Enemy.

• -tgt- ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ago 14 2007, 15:20

Listening to alot of differant things as usuall

But two things in particular:

Burning Spear - Hail H.I.M.

The Ethiopians - Train to Skaville: Anthology 1966-1975

• llehcin ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 10 2008, 5:30
    Mavis Staples - Of Whom Shall I Be Afraid (A Piece Of The Action OST)

Nissi
  • Soldiers of the cross: brutal faith-groove prmitivism. Yeah guitar. Play. Take me to the river.

Join:

Great Black Music

P E A C E

• llehcin ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 15 2008, 4:41
    Atlantic Sisters Of Soul

A lot of names I've never heard of but the voices are incredible. Now this is what you call sangin'.

Nissi
  • jazzoetry is poetry--last poets
    In my writing I am acting as a map maker, an explorer of psychic areas, a cosmonaut of inner space, and I see no point in exploring areas that have already been thoroughly surveyed--William S. Burroughs
    • Anberzu ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 20 2008, 9:04
    I will not stop running till I'm winning the race, I can't live with myself being second place
    • 2Serenity ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Gen 20 2008, 20:36
    Mike Phillips album - You Have Reached Mike Phillips

You Have Reached Mike Phillips

Also, check out Paul "Sequence" Ferguson

Quantum Physics

Go here: http://www.sequence.net

He is playing the keyboards/guitar in this clip:
    http://dave.tv/MediaPlayer.aspx?contentItemId=289468&channelContentItemID=261382

• llehcin ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 23 2008, 5:34
    Gal Costa is ringing in my ears. Her India and Legal albums are on heavy rotation right now.

Nissi
    • [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 27 2008, 12:24
    the raw sounds of "black bastards" from KMD. For sure one of the most stunning underground rap album of its era. right in the top of the heaven of the never-released albums.

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.