[Review] T.R.A.M. - Lingua Franca EP

• [Review] T.R.A.M. - Lingua Franca EP

T.R.A.M. - Lingua Franca EP

I guess I don't have to explain who Tosin Abasi is. I remember seeing him play with Reflux some years ago here in Europe, supporting Darkest Hour. The band Beecher from the UK was on that tour as well and they all put on a great show. Such an awesome package. Anyways, Tosin has become much more famous for his current band Animals as Leaders in the meantime, and for his amazing guitar skills. I wasn't a huge fan of their last album, but this here is quite exciting.

This band is kind of an all star project, also featuring drummer Eric Moore (Suicidal Tendencies), Adrian Terrazas of The Mars Volta on the saxophone, flute, clarinet and so on, plus second Animals as Leaders guitarist Javier Reyes. And everyone does an outstanding job on this EP, you could have figured.

So what is this at all? T.R.A.M. offer some sort of a sometimes hectic, sometimes smooth Free Jazz joyride, mixed up with some serious King Crimson-worshipping and of course, Tosin's signature style guitar playing. So yes, you can tell it's him. Most of the techniques he has incorporated in his main band are getting put to use here as well, but it still sounds so pleasantly different. The melodies are definitely much more free form and twisted than what you're used to from this guy, so this isn't all loungy and laid back or beautiful sounding, and it also isn't all about his guitar playing either. It seems like a creative outburst in a quite psycehedelic fashion and there is more than enough room for any of the musicians to shine and stand out.

The Lingua Franca EP clocks in just under 30 minutes and I had it on repeat for two days now. It just doesn't get boring and there is so much to discover, because a lot is going on here. T.R.A.M. debuts with an awesome EP and I'm more than curious for more. Since the similiar artists on their last.fm profile are completely inappropriate, I recommend this to fans of Kayo Dot and especially miRthkon.

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.