Best acoustic covers?

• Manda813 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 6 2006, 22:55

Best acoustic covers?

Alot of my favorite songs are acoustic covers of other artists' songs. Like 'Such Great Heights' by Iron and Wine, which was originally a Postal Service song. Anyways, this thread is for recommendations of any really good acoustic covers.

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 10 2006, 10:17
    I love Cat Power's cover of Wonderwall and the Bright Eyes cover of Elliott Smith's 'The Biggest Lie'

• Benjamin Costello

Benjamin Costello has done a slab of acoustic mp3 covers that you can grab for free from his website - very very awesome, including Eva Cassidy, The Postal Service, Coldplay, Radiohead, George Harrison, Jewel and Death Cab for Cutie

http://benjamincostello.com/music.php

enjoy :)

• Utente
    • Gen 11 2006, 20:52
    john mayer's cover of radiohead's "kid a"
    ryan adams' cover of oasis' "wonderwall"

• Utente
    • Gen 11 2006, 22:24
    oh yeah, John Mayer's cover is really good. I found a whole new respect for him.

• Herlow ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 13 2006, 18:18
    someone has made a very good piano version of paranoid android by radiohead, it's only piano, no vocals... beautiful. my friend simon played it to me on a party once, haven't heard it twice though...

• Re:

Quoth Herlow:
    someone has made a very good piano version of paranoid android by radiohead, it's only piano, no vocals... beautiful. my friend simon played it to me on a party once, haven't heard it twice though...

That's probably Brad Mehldau. He Does a lot of Jazzy Covers.

The only other group i think might do something like that is "the bad plus"

-TJ

• Renée Fleming's cover of "River," originally done by Joni Mitchell, is pretty good. But I still like Mitchell's original best.

However, Fleming's cover of "In My Life" tops the original...I forget the artist...

x.M.
    • Herlow ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 19 2006, 22:13
    Is it that beatles song?

• sanalart ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 28 2006, 23:54
    Audioslave - Black Hole Sun
    Sublime (Bob Marley's)This Train
    Jame Blunt (Crowded House's) Fall At Your Feet

When the music's over
    Turn out the lights
    • Herlow ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 29 2006, 16:44
    I made a very good cover of "Such Great Heights" with my friends Meffe, Anna and Lisa when we performed last year, sadly it was not recorded, it was a very funny and energetic acoustic cover. It was also very sad, because we practicly destroyed the song with our arrangement.

• I'm a big fan of Maroon 5's cover of "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails. But I'd say I either the Smashing Pumpkins' version of "Landslide" or Saves the Day's version of "I Melt With You" will always be in my acoustic rotation as my favorites...

The Liver is Evil... Punish it with BEER!!
    • Herlow ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Feb 5 2006, 14:15
    I like Anna Ternheims version of Fleetwood Mac's song Little Lies

• Rufus Wainwright does a fairly decent version of "Across the Universe", but no one can ever really be better than the Beatles

• Z-two ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Feb 26 2006, 19:29

Re:

Quoth Herlow:

It could also be Christopher O'Riley... he has done two albums worth of Radiohead covers.

• Herlow ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Feb 26 2006, 20:33
    i feel a sudden repulsion when i hear about radiohead covers in general... everybody has covered them, why don't cover some other good band that needs the attention?

don't get me wrong, it's just as covering beatles, most times the artist that covers the song, doesn't change it into something new. a good cover-version is one that gives perspective on the songs context, music, eventual lyric and arrangement.

• Z-two ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Feb 26 2006, 22:41

Re:

Quoth Herlow:
    i feel a sudden repulsion when i hear about radiohead covers in general... everybody has covered them, why don't cover some other good band that needs the attention?

True... but just to say... the Christopher O'Riley covers are really worth a listen. He manages to capture all the songs details in one piano part. Really reminds you how beatiful some of the radiohead songs are.

• Dave Grohls acoustic version of his own "Everlong" is one of my favorites. Everlong is a fucking great song.

i say.
    • Utente
    • Mar 31 2006, 2:01
    scissor sisters cover of franz ferdinand's take me out. i likey.

• Re:

Quoth toynbee:
    I love Cat Power's cover of Wonderwall

Absolutely brilliant cover. Ryan Adams' of Wonderwall is pretty good too. In response to the Radiohead cover debate, John Mayer's Kid A is pretty decent, he makes some good changes/adjustments.

• Utente
    • Apr 1 2006, 23:35
    yeah I listened to a few Christopher O'Reily songs and they are absolutely beautiful. They are so well layered and they flow so well.

He's a very good musician.

• stefanks ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Apr 3 2006, 1:04
    how about johnny cash's cover of NIN's Hurt. Powerful stuff

• Re:

Quoth stefanks:
    how about johnny cash's cover of NIN's Hurt. Powerful stuff

That has to be one of the most spine-tingling hair-raising song's recorded, sheer brilliance

• I like The Lemonheads (Evan Dando) covering of the song 'Frank Mills' from the musical 'Hair'. It's a nice version. Evan Dando got a few beautiful albums (Baby I'm Bored & Live at the Brattle Theatre).

• And of course Rufus Wainwrights version of 'Hallelujah' is breath taking!

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.