Post-Hardcore or Pop-Punk: Which is the true heir to the mainstream punk throne?

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Lug 12 2009, 23:06

Post-Hardcore or Pop-Punk: Which is the true heir to the mainstream punk throne?

?

• Utente
    • Lug 15 2009, 3:51
    Neither. Alternative pretty much consumes it all. If anyone's listened to real punk or post-hardcore they'd know that whatever is given those labels in the mainstream is ultimately an imitation of it. Anymore stupid questions?

• Utente
    • Lug 15 2009, 4:34
    I said 'mainstream' punk sweetie, so anything after your second sentence is useless. Thanks for the insight, though.

PS--perhaps this group isn't for you? It doesn't seem to cater to your musical tastes

• Utente
    • Lug 15 2009, 6:14
    I know exactly what you said. It's an oxymoron to even use post-hardcore & pop punk (now called punk pop for D.I.Y. bands) when referring to anything mainstream, so actually the second sentence is valid. So far as the group is concerned, I'm giving it a spin to see if maybe I might be interested. Again, the word 'punk' in the name is very misleading. I'll never understand why people use it when speaking of major label bands who sound nothing like the genre. I suppose that's another reason why I'm considering joining the group. To go Gonzo & to find out why this is so. Ratta-tat-tat.

• Utente
    • Lug 15 2009, 16:58
    I said anything after your second sentence, because I think that's a completely valid opinion. And, I'd say the general consensus is that there have been some post-hardcore and pop-punk bands in the 'mainstream'... or, at the very least, bigger than 'underground', or local scene, which most actual 'punk' is (well, atleast, this is what I've gathered from my one friend who listens to punk/plays in a horrorpunk band). Nowadays I don't see many, if any, post-hardcore bands in the real mainstream, whereas a band like Glassjaw or Thursday was at-least somewhat mainstream (I don't mean getting huge amounts of radio-play) back in the late 90s early 2000s. Pop-punk has moved more towards strict pop if it's played on the radio

• Utente
    • Lug 15 2009, 17:01
    as for the groups name, it's the name of a website (you've probably already gathered that) and it was started by a guy who was really into pop-punk at the time, with bands like Blink-182 and MxPx. The site covers mostly alternative rock that has pop-punk or post-hardcore influences

• Utente
    • Lug 15 2009, 17:23
    Oh, you were referring to the "anymore stupid questions" comment/question. HAHAHAHA It was more of a statement (& opinion) than a debate. But I'll give it to ya. So far as the general consensus is concerned, if they've been into either genre for a period of time they would know that once a band hits the mainstream from the "underground" (signing to a major) that even though their sound may reflect post-hardcore or pop punk styles that it's still in essence alternative. I've seen this done with the label "indie", which cannot be indie (pendent) if it's on Universal, Capitol or any other major & it's subsidiaries. You mentioned Glassjaw & Thursday. Thursday (as you may already know) signed to Island for their "War All The Time" album & even though they don't get a lot of radio play I still considered them alternative because of their move. Now, they're on Epitaph, who's starting to go mainstream as well with their roster of bands (The Matches, Thursday, & New Found Glory to name a few). I just think that anything mainstream is alternative & if you're/they're going to use any labels to describe a band's sound it should be alternative with pop punk/post-hardcore/indie influences. The stuff generally sounds the same with it's polished production & values.

• Utente
    • Lug 15 2009, 17:27
    I was also aware of the group's name & website. I think you got it right with your description: "The site covers mostly alternative rock that has pop-punk or post-hardcore influences". That's the point I was trying to make, ultimately. AbsoluteAlternative would have been more fitting IMO. Nice discussion, by the way. I hope more people get in on this & give their take on post-hardcore, pop-punk, & mainstream alternative as a whole (":

• Utente
    • Lug 15 2009, 23:02
    I go more on a 'what does it sound like' basis, rather than if it's truly recorded independently/by a smaller label... regardless of recording quality.

However--I'll be the first to admit, that a large reason for me to do that is so I can categorize my music in iTunes easier, rather than having a gigantic list of 'alternative' music.

As for "indie" music--again, it's more of a sound... although a more accurate description for "indie rock" would probably be "pop rock" or "folk". Especially with bands like Death Cab for Cutie, who are huge. I think the one possible reason to differentiate it from Pop-rock is that the term 'pop' has been pigeon-holed to mean the music contains overly polished production with a kind if synthetic feel to the music.

Your view does make sense to me though, because the bands classified as pop-punk and post-hardcore today rarely sound extremely close to their influences (although my view personally is that the genre's have just expanded, rather than throwing them all in an alt-rock pot)

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.