best discovery

• best discovery

which band was your best discovery on 120 Minutes? i have many, but one of them is very special for me. there was this song called "coming down" by the band Anna. it was aired twice on the show and thankfully, i've taped the video back then, but never heard of them ever since. the song is also impossible to find, neither to buy or to download.

• Cylob ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 6 2007, 13:05
    For me it has to be Echobelly.

"Insomniac" was played to death in '94.

... and quite right!

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
  • yup, you're quite right there cylob...

here, it's coming for you again:

maybe we should go for a playlist here, :)

• treveera ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 22 2007, 21:34
    I'd almost completely forgotten about this show; VH1 Classic's "The Alternative" is a pretty awesome contemporary replacement.

My first exposure to Echo & The Bunnymen was on 120 Mins. The video was live -- I think it was "Never Stop". At the time, I thought so little of it. Boy have things changed :)

Another band's video I distinctly remember was "Shrine" by The Dambuilders. I think they're from here in the NE USA. Loved the song, but I've since checked out more of their work and haven't been wowed.

Thanks for having me in this group! It really takes me back.

ps- Did any of you like Alternative Nation? So many people were repulsed by Kennedy, but she was like a god to me .. so brassy and impolite. She really pushed the limits, and played good tunes :D

-T
  • welcome treveera!

we had MTV europe here in turkey, so i'm only familiar with the european versions of these shows.

i remember, back in 1993, there was a show called "post-modern" on every wednesday night. i cannot remember the name of the host though, she was blond and a rather butch looking lady. :D it was a good show. for example, i remember they had conceptual shows in december 1993. one of the four was dedicated to the cure and another one to depeche mode. the depeche mode one was quite wonderful, because they showed few live videos from the devotional tour. it was the tv premiere for these live performances.

then, sometime early 1994, "post-modern" was called off and replaced by "alternative nation". the host for "alternative nation" on MTV europe was the great marijne van der vlugt. well, in case you don't remember her, she was the singer of salad, one of the most underrated bands from that time.

i'll be really interested, if you could tell us a little bit more about the videos shown on american "120 minutes" or "alternative nation". they have to be similar, well more or less, but maybe trends do differ, right?

• Playlists on the web!

Hey guys, have y'all looked at this link:

http://www.altmusictv.com/120/archive.html

It's a list of episodes with playlists (submitted by viewers). Wow, it really brings back some memories!

At the time I was in love with The Connells, and 120min was one of the only places I could see their videos!

• treveera ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Set 4 2007, 19:00

Update

It appears VH1 Classic has renamed their "The Alternative" show to "120 Minutes."

While the content is pretty similar to what the original 120 Mins had to offer (it always had been), it's lacking the guest hosts. Some interviews are involved, but they are short ones.

Since I haven't watched the show for a while, I'm not sure what the schedule is. I will find out and post the info. TTYL.

-T
    • [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 31 2007, 11:44
    Therapy?
    'Teethgrinder' 1992

• Re: Update

treveera said:
    It appears VH1 Classic has renamed their "The Alternative" show to "120 Minutes."

While the content is pretty similar to what the original 120 Mins had to offer (it always had been), it's lacking the guest hosts. Some interviews are involved, but they are short ones.

Since I haven't watched the show for a while, I'm not sure what the schedule is. I will find out and post the info. TTYL.

Hey, I'll look out for that as well... We do have VH1 here, but never seen "120 Minutes" on there...

hell66 said:
    Therapy?
    'Teethgrinder' 1992

I remember the excellent B&W video for "Teethgrinder"...

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 1 2008, 11:05
    Alternative Nation I think

• best discoveries on 120 mins

Oh, the Connells -- YES!!!
    too many to remember or mention all here, but off the top of my head there was...

St. Etienne, The Spinanes, Wonder Stuff, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Luna, Big Audio Dynamite, PIL, The Boo Radleys, The Sugarcubes, New Fast Automatic Daffodils, Sonic Youth, Juliana Hatfield, The Lemonheads, Echo & the Bunnymen, Jawbox, Velocity Girl, Ride, James, Morrissey, Bob Mould, XTC, Concrete Blonde, Liz Phair, Catherine Wheel, Belly...

I <3 Dave Kendall
    and Kennedy read my letter on the air on Alternative Nation in 1993 when I was 14. I think it was something angsty, complaining about my mom or something :)

• @treveera - yes the dambuilder's video for 'shrine' and that song are amazing! Joan Wasser was in that band (she was wearing the bunny ears), and they also went on to form Brilliantine who you might really like...http://www.last.fm/music/Brilliantine

• I'm sure it was on either Alternative Nation or 120 Minutes that I first saw Kristin Hersh's Your Ghost, and Mazzy Star's Fade Into You... the fact I was in love with Marijne Van Der Vlugt atthe time has no bearing whatsoever on the fact that these are the only two I can remember without thinking about it...

I only went with your mother 'cause she's dirty
Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.