Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Top Listener on personal profile

• Top Listener on personal profile

I'd like to have the option in the listener's profile to display of which bands I'm top listener (or have a "summary" of it shown somewhere else).
    :)

• cbaarck ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 13 2011, 18:32
    Came here to suggest the same thing.

• This. Please, last.fm?

• +1

This would actually be great. Maybe implement it on the left sidebar or something.

• snyde1 ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Giu 22 2011, 18:20
    Something like this?

(Just teasing you - this has been non-functional for some time.)

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • That's an interesting idea, although on the other hand it might give people a bigger incentive to cheat. We already get a lot of people who rename 31 second tracks as their favourite artist, and play them overnight on a continuous loop - presumably just so they can get on the top listener page.

• dankine ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 24 2011, 12:16
    would just get so abused and completely devalue it all. kinda rendering the whole thing (more) pointless.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • Akayz7 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 24 2011, 12:17
    dankine said:
    would just get so abused and completely devalue it all. kinda rendering the whole thing (more) pointless.

What are you talking about "abused". You're being vague as hell with your answers.

• Maddieman said:
    That's an interesting idea, although on the other hand it might give people a bigger incentive to cheat. We already get a lot of people who rename 31 second tracks as their favourite artist, and play them overnight on a continuous loop - presumably just so they can get on the top listener page.

Perhaps change the algorithm a bit where in order to get on the top listeners they would have to listen to other artists & tracks, if they have a track looping or they just threw on a playlist of all of the artist tracks & loop them should lower the ability to get put on the recent top listener. Some people will repeat certain tracks but i think if the system can see that it should reduce the user's top listener apposed to someone who is listening/scrobbling different tracks.

I don't really know many people who would scrobble a track 300x all at once (or in a day) unless they were updating their charts.

• bacafe ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ott 10 2011, 8:20
    I, too, would like to see something like this implemented. Please, last.fm?

Complaints? Please see Dave Null.
    • dankine ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ott 10 2011, 9:01
    Akayz7 said:
    What are you talking about "abused". You're being vague as hell with your answers.

Come on...
    People would (even more so) spam scrobbles to become the "top listener".
    The whole feature would be useless.

The fact you couldn't see what I was quite clearly talking about doesn't make it vague.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • bacafe ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ott 11 2011, 4:14
    Maddieman said:
    That's an interesting idea, although on the other hand it might give people a bigger incentive to cheat.

Lol. Cheating.. at last.fm. These people really need lives.

Complaints? Please see Dave Null.
    • rfruth11 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ott 12 2011, 3:35
    cheating @ last.fm - no way (:))

• bacafe - you said it, but people do this all the time. Just go to the top listeners page of your favourite pop diva, and you'll find someone with fake scrobbles.

E.g.
    http://www.last.fm/user/AndreyMacedo/tracks

As you can see, they'll rename a 31 second mp3 and just autoplay it overnight.

It's a phenomenon that's been seen countless areas -- attach any kind of count or 'score' to something (e.g. post counts), and people will compete to out-do each other. Some people will even resort to cheating to get a higher score than their peers.

• It's dumb people do that. I know some people want to fix their charts so it represents what they like but just to see the artist(s) stats rise or have 40K scrobbles of their favorite artist is ridiculous. When i had to re-scrobble an album because it's misspelled which affects my overall stats someone wrote in my shoutbox (your scrobbles are fake, blah blah blah) apparently my manual scrobbling requires questioning.

I also tend to leave my scrobbler/player run while im sleeping.. i still can hear it at times & i like how it plays around with my dreams but renaming 31 sec tracks to gain higher number tracks are absurd. After scrobbling for a few years i have realized, 'less is more'. But also i can see where my most neglected tracks, artists or albums are as well...

Top listeners could use an adjustment though. Have an algorithm where if they're submitting scrobbles every 31 seconds instead of 2 minutes or so, be kind of hard for the shorter tracks but not every album has 31 seconds either, it might also help to add artist variety (or that the same tracks are not being submitted within a certain timeframe) to see that they are just not auto playing the same artist over again, which is the whole point of last.fm to discover new artists instead of just playing one or 2 all the time.

• -Trail- ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ott 15 2011, 22:02
    Maddieman said:
    bacafe - you said it, but people do this all the time. Just go to the top listeners page of your favourite pop diva, and you'll find someone with fake scrobbles.

E.g.
    http://www.last.fm/user/AndreyMacedo/tracks

As you can see, they'll rename a 31 second mp3 and just autoplay it overnight.

It's a phenomenon that's been seen countless areas -- attach any kind of count or 'score' to something (e.g. post counts), and people will compete to out-do each other. Some people will even resort to cheating to get a higher score than their peers.

Would it be unethical to ban such users who were quite obviously cheating and abusing the site in this way? Those whose play counts are physically impossible are kinda ruining the site for everyone.

• i love this idea. i agree that people would cheat, which is ridiculous. but it would still be cool to know exactly which bands you are a top listener for. i have a question too about the whole top listener thing. on some bands the recent top listeners will have less overall plays on last.fm in general than i have for that particular artist. but i am a barely a top listener on anything. which confuses me. i know it is only recent top listeners. but for instance there is one band, with the punches, that i consistently listen to. almost everyday. and i have over 1000 plays, and there is a top listener with only 12 plays for them and less than 1000 plays on last.fm. when i listen to them i listen to all of the songs i have so it is more than 12 songs so i don't understand why i wouldn't be a more recent top listener. it isn't the biggest deal, because it isn't something that should be a contest, but it is just something i wonder if anyone has any reasoning or insight to.

• That would be quite amazing!

• I don't think it needs to be visible on anyone's profile, no one needs to see it but the user themselves. I just wonder who I am a top listener for. Are there any stat tools for this? I assume it would be quite easy to make.

• Candyheart33 said:
    I assume it would be quite easy to make.

Yes, I have a greasemonkey script that does this. I have no plans to release it...

But since you asked, from the top 20 artists in your last weekly chart, you made the top 25 for one artist - The Nova Saints - for whom you're in at #6. This is according to the data returned by the API, which is different to the Recent Top Listeners page.

• Iskra42463 said:
    Candyheart33 said:
    I assume it would be quite easy to make.

Yes, I have a greasemonkey script that does this. I have no plans to release it...

But since you asked, from the top 20 artists in your last weekly chart, you made the top 25 for one artist - The Nova Saints - for whom you're in at #6. This is according to the data returned by the API, which is different to the Recent Top Listeners page.

Ahh thank you. :)
    But why aren't you going to share this script with everybody else? :(

• Candyheart33 said:
    But why aren't you going to share this script with everybody else? :(

Not in plans, but that doesn't mean I never will. At the moment, three thing are stopping me:
    • the competitive fringe - as discussed above. A userscript isn't the same as last.fm putting a badge on your profile, but if everyone was using it, it would amount to nearly the same thing.
    • the API Terms of Service - as I read them, my script is breaking the ToS, in particular with regard to caching chart data (ToS 4.4). The rules were written with web & desktop apps in mind... Also, if I released the script, it would need it's own API key, which is next to impossible to protect in a userscript.
    • it would take a lot of work to get the code up to a standard I'd be happy to release, and basically I'm just lazy... but some long winter evenings ahead may cure that.

So let the arm-twisting begin ;) I'd welcome feedback, especially from staff & other developers on the second point.

• Oh I see what you mean, fair enough.

• i wish you'd release it! i would love to know so much...i don't know anything about script writing so i don't know what all of that means, but i hope someone helps you solve it all.

• I'm working on it :)

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.