Forum » Feedback and Ideas

February 15th site update

• February 15th site update

Hello!

Earlier today we released an update to Last.fm. Here's what's new:

The previously announced streaming changes are now in effect. As of today you'll (probably) need a subscription if you're listening to Last.fm on a mobile or hardware device. There's some exceptions – see the blog post and related links for more details. We're emailing and PMing affected users to let them know, as well as giving out a free 3 month trial subscription. If you're eligible but haven't got it yet, sit tight – it should be with you in the next couple of days.

Improvements to our mobile site. Users on our mobile site can now subscribe without having to visit the full-fat Last.fm page.

Image pages are now browsable using the arrow keys. Press right to see the next image, left to see the previous one. Try it out.

Last.fm was at the New York Music Hack Day. A bunch of geeks got together in New York to build a music-related project in a weekend. You can browse everything they came up with, or check out Who What Where and /a/valentine/for/you by the Last.fm team.

Bonus blog post: Andrew's been doing some research about what love sounds like, and is ready to tell you about your softer side.

That's it for this release; we'll be back in 2 weeks with more updates.

• I am not really a portable last.fm user, but I am really wondering why you need a subscription now to stream with them.

• NightVermillion said:
    I am not really a portable last.fm user, but I am really wondering why you need a subscription now to stream with them.

The blog post and forum thread go into it in some detail.

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Feb 15 2011, 22:19
    NightVermillion said:
    I am not really a portable last.fm user, but I am really wondering why you need a subscription now to stream with them.

On the Last.fm website an ad-supported, free-to-listeners model is what supports our online radio services in the US, UK and Germany. In other markets and on emerging mobile and home entertainment devices, it is not practical for us to deliver an ad supported radio experience, but instead, we will migrate to what we believe is the highest quality, lowest cost ad-free music service in the world.
    see: http://blog.last.fm/2011/02/07/lastfm-radio-becomes-a-premium-feature-on-mobile-and-home-entertainment-devices

Satisfying explanation?

-i496

• rwitte ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Feb 16 2011, 0:04
    Thanks for this. My subscription ran out two days ago (to my surprise) so I am waiting for my free three months to start. I don't seem to be able to get the recurring subscription system to work the way I would like [ie billing on the same day each month and giving me exactly one uninterrupted subscription, neither more nor fewer].

I welcome the changes to the mobile site. I hope that this means that the mobile website is going to be actively maintained. There are a backlog of suggestions in the m.last.fm group.

As always, thanks to the staff for all your hard work.

• Tecfan ha detto...
    • Event Moderator
    • Feb 16 2011, 15:28
    Also see my thread for more mobile stuff that should be added: http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/667628

nice little feature with the arrows on the image pages - but was that actually requested? You have hundreds of pages with good suggestions :)

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • Tecfan said:
    Also see my thread for more mobile stuff that should be added: http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/667628

nice little feature with the arrows on the image pages - but was that actually requested? You have hundreds of pages with good suggestions :)

Agreed - More like hundreds of pages of more pressing suggestions.

I must be missing something, because I always have had arrows there that seemed to work just fine.

• akrde ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Feb 16 2011, 19:44
    Thanks and tracking...

• dankine ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Feb 16 2011, 20:20
    CrybKeeper said:

I must be missing something, because I always have had arrows there that seemed to work just fine.
    arrow keys...

and the fact that something has been suggested makes it good?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Feb 16 2011, 20:58

+1

• Ancient-Rites said:

Try the arrows on your keyboard. :)

• acreature said:
    Ancient-Rites said:

Try the arrows on your keyboard. :)

...the keyboard? how quaint! :)

• £3 a month to listen to music I cannot choose?

Last FM,

£3 a month to listen to music I cannot choose? Come on guys.. This is awful!!

You cannot compare Last FM to other subscription sites as with Last FM you cannot play a specific artist. Only “Artists Like”.

Since using Last FM through my SqueezeBox I’ve bought so many tracks and whole albums I never would have heard of before – just because I played artists like or genres.

I will not be buying any subscription, but will use it through my Xbox instead and turn off any Scrobbling.

Please revert to the original.

James

• rwitte ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Feb 20 2011, 14:44
    James,

you have the choice of currency to pay three: three dollars, three euros, or three pounds and even the most expensive of these is significantly cheaper than the alternatives. In the UK, spotify is of the order of ten pounds and we7 is similar for mobile devices (although you can get either without mobile on an ad-supported basis, and we7 offers a no mobile no ad option for nearly five pounds).

So, in my opinion, awful is far too strong a word.

Note that the free streaming on the xbox is courtesy of Microsoft, who are in effect paying the subscriptions for xbox and windows mobile 7. last.fm is still getting paid.

Although I don't exactly relish paying this small fee, and I do think that the subscription deal has got significantly worse over the last few months, last.fm is far from the only organisation raising its prices. I see price inflation everywhere that I look at the moment. I think last.fm remains good value for money.

Roger

• Tecfan ha detto...
    • Event Moderator
    • Feb 21 2011, 8:44
    Hey, when was the "Hyped artists" on tag pages added?

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.