Forum » Feedback and Ideas

CBS handed over USER DATA (including IP addresses) to the RIAA

• It's just a blog, a technology blog at that. The vast majority of Last.fm's users and the internet at large will never read that blog or hear anything about this story. In other words, relax, no one's going to sue anyone and no one's going to lose any significant business. It's not been reported on any major news site (search Google News if you don't believe me), so clearly no one is taking TechCrunch seriously.

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:04
    If you were in any doubt about TC's vendetta against Last.fm http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/23/another-blanket-denial-by-lastfm/ full of emotional language and 'I believe' this and 'I believe' that. Utter bollocks.

It's midnight. Funny how this is the time they usually do the dirty. Then they whinge no one has responded immediately. !!

• Jonty ha detto...
    • Alumni
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:15
  • fff

Surely some data transferred.
    Someone who has a web page can not be so stupid
    to ignore the consequences if this allegation is false.

Let's look at motive, which has techcurch to drive out this kind of news.
    No. Traffic that would bring them, this page is only temporary. Prosecution can kill them forever

Can you think that lastfm admit the allegations on their site?.
    Do not be naive.

I think I wait a couple days to see how the story will end. As it looks now I will have to delete the account.

Perhaps the best development for lastfm is to say what data where transfered and why.

• TheBomfy ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:16
    Babs_05 said:
    If you were in any doubt about TC's vendetta against Last.fm http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/23/another-blanket-denial-by-lastfm/ full of emotional language and 'I believe' this and 'I believe' that. Utter bollocks.

It's midnight. Funny how this is the time they usually do the dirty. Then they whinge no one has responded immediately. !!

Interesting.

Okay guys at Last.fm, what did you all do to piss them off so much in the first place? Someone didn't get job and has a vendetta or something? Or did one of you go to school and make fun of a dude that works there now?

Come on, we need juicy dirt that will last until the next disaster.

321, are you ready to rock?
    • [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:25
    TheBomfy said:
    Okay guys at Last.fm, what did you all do to piss them off so much in the first place?
    My money is on disgruntled ex Last.fm or CBS employee, who has cooked up this story and then "leaked" it to TC. Or Last.fm is just lying and the story is true. I gotta get me some more popcorn! :D

• During reloads watching the comments come in on that latest trash article, I noticed a peculiar thing.... 4-5 messages that were against what he wrote had disappeared almost as fast as they were added.

Responses there are getting deleted if they don't fit his agenda.

Seeing they were getting deleted, I manage to catch 1 as an example before I reloaded and, well, it was gone.

Just an example of the kind of responses that have been speed-deleted by that... someone.

Mike Shaw:

“Was there no data request by CBS in February? If there was one, was data transmitted to CBS? Did CBS pass it on to the RIAA or one or more music labels?”

- Their answer: transferring personally identifiable data (i.e. IP addresses) from the UK to the US is against data protection laws. We wouldn’t risk a lawsuit to pander to the RIAA’s requests.

“How about a suggestion that you were innocently involved in transferring data to a third party, and subsequently outraged when you discovered what happened?”

- Their answer: transferring personally identifiable data (i.e. IP addresses) from the UK to the US is against data protection laws. We wouldn’t risk a lawsuit to pander to the RIAA’s requests.

“We believe Last.fm staffers have been agreeing with our story in private conversations for some time. Why the private agreement and the public broad denial?”

- “We believe” means nothing to anyone but you. There’s no facts to back up that they agreed with you in private, so there’s nothing to prove.

“We believe Last.fm put in broad new data policies following our February story. If the original story was completely untrue, why did they put new data policies in place?”

- Seriously, take the “we believe” stuff out of this, you’re making yourself look desperate. What you believe without providing any facts means nothing. Noone cares what you believe.

I believe my left big toe has supernatural powers.

“What is CBS’ position on this story?”

- Ask CBS. Last.fm can’t possibly speak for them.

Russ’ response is a helluva lot more believable than anything you’ve written so far.

I do hope they sue you. At the least, techcrunch is now the equivalent of the National Enquirer.

I'll note here that last.fm deleted noone's messages in this thread, no matter how irrational or over-the-top they were. Unlike this... someone (nice word for him, Russ, hehe).

• TheBomfy ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:28
    jotakoi said:
    TheBomfy said:
    Okay guys at Last.fm, what did you all do to piss them off so much in the first place?
    My money is on disgruntled ex Last.fm or CBS employee, who has cooked up this story and then "leaked" it to TC. Or Last.fm is just lying and the story is true. I gotta get me some more popcorn! :D

Could be interesting. I guess whichever way it transpires it should be amusing. That last TC post makes me think there should be a decent amount of drama involved. I'm starting to think if this whole thing is true, it will be rather anti-climatic.

• TheBomfy ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:30
    HairMetalAddict said:
    During reloads watching the comments come in on that latest trash article, I noticed a peculiar thing.... 4-5 messages that were against what he wrote had disappeared almost as fast as they were added.

Seeing they were getting deleted, I manage to catch 1 as an example before I reloaded and, well, it was gone.

Just an example of the kind of responses that have been speed-deleted by that... someone.

I'll note here that last.fm deleted noone's messages in this thread, no matter how irrational or over-the-top they were. Unlike this... someone (nice word for him, Russ, hehe).

Dammit, why oh why Lord, do I not have any damn popcorn!!!!!!!!

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:32
    HairMetalAddict - that was an excellent post. I saw that too and was just looking for it again. Glad you added it here.

• tvrk ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:35

Re:Re: Re:Re: Re: Response

Mr_Blakk said:
    man you don't cope with analogies well do you

Not bad ones - no.

and you keep missing the point

these are things that in the terms and conditions aren't supposed to be shared with the world, and it's moronic to suggest only criminals should have privacy concerns

damn

The same terms and conditions that say "we can change anything we want when we see fit - also the rules". A "privacy" debate involving a site like this is moronic...

Even based on false information - congrats, You made a big fuss about nothing.

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:40
    ZAck - May 23rd, 2009 at 3:48 pm PDT

Well someone did ask Russ on Last Fm forum

“Just to double-check - is it possible for CBS to ‘trick’ you into handing over data, as the article seems to imply?”

and his reply was

“They’d still have to ask for the data linking scrobblers to IP addresses, which they have not done. Asking for that data would raise red flags on my end… ”

One thing I don’t understand is why are they not coming with an official response . So what if it is weekend .

Your credibility is in question (CBS)?

Michael Arrington (@arrington) - May 23rd, 2009 at 3:51 pm PDT

If Last.fm never transferred data to CBS, which is itself a likely violation of EU law, why not just say so. And what data exactly can CBS pull directly from Last.fm servers?
    Funny...

• jeb42 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:47
    *popcorn*

• Re: fff

madmax_cro said:
    No. Traffic that would bring them, this page is only temporary. Prosecution can kill them forever.

Putting aside the awful grammar for a second, you can't sue TechCrunch, they're just an independent blog. This kind of thing happens all the time, but nothing is done about it because no one really cares, anyone can write a blog and say whatever the hell they want, thus sane people won't just take their content for granted.

• I don't know whether to delete my account or stay with the site :/. I am a little confused on which side of the fence to stand in. CBS is a very big corporation with clear ties to organizations which would find this data quite useful.

• TheBomfy ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:56
    TheShadowstorm said:
    I don't know whether to delete my account or stay with the site :/. I am a little confused on which side of the fence to stand in. CBS is a very big corporation with clear ties to organizations which would find this data quite useful.

I think maybe you should wait until all the hoopla and drama has calmed down. So Tuesday at the earliest I would bet. Wait and see, just don't do anything you wouldn't want The Man to see.

• How funny is this shit? When this first broke, a lot of users here (and all of the Last.fm staff, predictably) got down my throat, telling me how innocent old Last.fm would never do that.

LIARS. They deserve everything that is coming to them. The first course of action is to stop using Last.fm (and stop subscribing).

• Babs_05 ha detto...
    • Moderatore
    • Mag 23 2009, 23:59
    LOL and that's why you're a registered user. ... and have been for nearly 2 years!

Modificato da Babs_05 in data Mag 24 2009, 0:01
  • TheBomfy said:
    TheShadowstorm said:
    I don't know whether to delete my account or stay with the site :/. I am a little confused on which side of the fence to stand in. CBS is a very big corporation with clear ties to organizations which would find this data quite useful.

I think maybe you should wait until all the hoopla and drama has calmed down. So Tuesday at the earliest I would bet. Wait and see, just don't do anything you wouldn't want The Man to see.

The things I do that I wouldn't want The Man to see, I am pretty sure over 90% of my demographic does the same things. There are many examples that can be illustrated to demonstrate the stubbornness of this particular industry to adapt to the changing needs and wants of its consumers.

In every era of innovation that affects the majority of the population, times become uncertain and the natural reaction for the people in charge of these institutions that are being threatened, is to fight back.

A great example of this is the time where one of the primary methods of transportation involved horse and buggy carriages – did the people in charge of these businesses such as these complain about how their company (ies) was being financially impacted in a negative way because better, more innovative, more useful, more practical methods of transportation were beginning to emerge? (read: the automobile) Absolutely.

And yet, where one industry slowly dies, another is quickly born, and to the advancement and progression of all society. The music industry in its current state represents this naturally occurring paradigm; and is simply fighting to stay relevant.

Fuck the RIAA.

• mxcl ha detto...
    • Alumni
    • Mag 24 2009, 0:02
    I've lied to women and my mother, but never to you guys.

• TheBomfy ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 24 2009, 0:06
    TheShadowstorm said:
    TheBomfy said:
    TheShadowstorm said:

The things I do that I wouldn't want The Man to see, I am pretty sure over 90% of my demographic does the same things. There are many examples that can be illustrated to demonstrate the stubbornness of this particular industry to adapt to the changing needs and wants of its consumers.

In every era of innovation that affects the majority of the population, times become uncertain and the natural reaction for the people in charge of these institutions that are being threatened, is to fight back.

A great example of this is the time where one of the primary methods of transportation involved horse and buggy carriages – did the people in charge of these businesses such as these complain about how their company (ies) was being financially impacted in a negative way because better, more innovative, more useful, more practical methods of transportation were beginning to emerge? (read: the automobile) Absolutely.

And yet, where one industry slowly dies, another is quickly born, and to the advancement and progression of all society. The music industry in its current state represents this naturally occurring paradigm; and is simply fighting to stay relevant.

Fuck the RIAA.

Uh, wow. I wasn't commenting on if it's right or wrong, I was saying maybe wait until the dust settles before you decide to delete your account. Also how do you know I'm not in the same demographic as you? Or did I just get to be the venting post?

• Re: Re: fff

Whosthatrandom said:
    madmax_cro said:
    No. Traffic that would bring them, this page is only temporary. Prosecution can kill them forever.

Putting aside the awful grammar for a second, you can't sue TechCrunch, they're just an independent blog. This kind of thing happens all the time, but nothing is done about it because no one really cares, anyone can write a blog and say whatever the hell they want, thus sane people won't just take their content for granted.

wtf
    you can sue anyone if you can prove that he is saying lies.

• norz ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 24 2009, 0:07
    HairMetalAddict said:
    During reloads watching the comments come in on that latest trash article, I noticed a peculiar thing.... 4-5 messages that were against what he wrote had disappeared almost as fast as they were added.

Mike Shaw:

“Was there no data request by CBS in February? If there was one, was data transmitted to CBS? Did CBS pass it on to the RIAA or one or more music labels?”

(...)
    I do hope they sue you. At the least, techcrunch is now the equivalent of the National Enquirer.

I took the liberty to repost Mike's post here: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/23/another-blanket-denial-by-lastfm/#comment-2763573

• another couple of comments which just mysteriously 'vanished' over at TC:

#
    Chris - May 23rd, 2009 at 4:36 pm PDT

Does anybody else see the irony in that the guy publishing these stories is criticising Last.fm’s denials for being vague? The word could have been coined for these rumours.

Write something substantial, or don’t bother writing at all.
    #

Wilhelm Reuch - May 23rd, 2009 at 4:36 pm PDT

Last.FM is not US-based and we all know that Mike Arrington has a problem with anything non-US. Once again he issues blanket accusations and, hey RIAA, from now on I will only listen to hate songs about Mike Arrington - please make a note of that :-)

edit: and another

Chris - May 23rd, 2009 at 4:52 pm PDT

Considering how little substance there seems to be to everything they’ve said about Last.fm, the way they trashed TC seems pretty justified. It’s not as if Arrington exactly has a glowing reputation for top quality journalism up until this point, and there’s nothing too convincing that this story’s a break from routine.

sad really.

"a fly crouching in a sandwich cannot comprehend how it has become more than ordinarily vulnerable" - ivor cutler
    Modificato da trixietrinian in data Mag 24 2009, 0:26
  • Re: Re: Re: fff

madmax_cro
    wtf
    you can sue anyone if you can prove that he is saying lies.

Of course you can, but the fact that TechCrunch is just a blog makes them harder to sue, and either way no one's going to bother because their readership is so small and the fact that no major news sites have reported their accusations shows that no one outside of this forum, TechCrunch or Digg/Reddit etc. is taking them seriously. I could start a blog and make up any old rubbish I wanted to, and no one would pay me a blind bit of notice unless my accusations turned out to be true.

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.