Forum » Feedback and Ideas

More artist control?

• More artist control?

As an artist, I find it extremely frustrating that other people can upload "unofficial" photographs to my band's page. I also find a lot of the moronic comments and spamming quite frustrating. This is something which has been expressed by many other musicians I have spoken to as well. I think it would be a good idea to allow registered artists the option to turn on and off the ability for users to post photographs, as well as the shoutbox, or at least allow the ability to remove spam posts etc.

• [spam]

[spam]

Modificato da Ziomek2000 in data Mag 17 2012, 21:02
    • tburny ha detto...
    • Forum Moderator
    • Mag 17 2012, 21:49

Re: More artist control?

In my opinion, the freedom of the user is, within bounds, one of the most important things for last.fm. It allows users to exchange ideas, discuss and make recommendations, which greatly benefits the artists.
    The internet might be of morons and spammers, but us moderators (and the last.fm staff, of course) will try our best to fight these in our leisure time, to provide the best possible last.fm experience for all users - provided that trolls and spammers get reported.

If there is too much trouble with artist pictures or shoutboxes, staff can - as far as I know - lock them. I'd like to ask you to contact Lastfmsupport in these cases :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • liftarn ha detto...
    • Wiki Moderator
    • Mag 22 2012, 10:01
    Many users feel that official photos (especially by labels) are... sub-standard (to put it polite). I have seen a few really horrible examples.

Please do yourself and Last.fm a favour and fix your tags. The easiest way is to use Musicbrainz Picard.
  • More artist control? No!

As an artist and a music fan, I find it extremely frustrating that some artists think that they should be able to control what people on Last.fm think and do. What such artists don't seem to understand is that Last.fm is "all built by the Last.fm users" (to quote the FAQ "What is Last.fm?").

The way I think of Last.fm is that it's primarily for the fans; what they think, and what they like. If fans make "moronic" comments, then the only thing I think an artist can do is make better music!

No fans on Last.fm like spam. Personally, I report it whenever I think something is spam. I find the moderators extremely responsive and very helpful.

Report spam, and listen to fans; that's the way to keep to the Last.fm spirit!

• dankine ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 22 2012, 18:34
    yup, control by the user.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • Schander ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 23 2012, 2:29
    Exactly... this website was "built" by it users and ought to remain controlled by its users.

Get yourself a Myspace account, or something similar.

• tburny said:
    If there is too much trouble with artist pictures or shoutboxes, staff can - as far as I know - lock them. I'd like to ask you to contact Lastfmsupport in these cases :)

Not the case, I've reported a particular unofficial image numerous times now and though some were removed, one remains. I'm fairly sure that a band member is fairly qualified to say what is official or not!?

liftarn said:
    Many users feel that official photos (especially by labels) are... sub-standard (to put it polite). I have seen a few really horrible examples.

But the way that a band/artist is portrayed is surely down to the artists themselves? Not everyone wants their face all over the internet... Some people have no understanding or respect towards aesthetic... I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to upload images, but if a particular band/artist wants the option, surely that is their right?

Schander said:

That's a pretty dumb comment, considering no-one has a choice in having a last.fm page.

• dankine ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 24 2012, 13:59
    The site rules say pics should be pics of the artist, not logos etc. Which it seems is what you want...

You can report stuff for being low quality, wrong or offensive etc. Not simply because you don't like it.

Complaining about having your face "all over the internet" is a pretty dim thing to say when you have what appears to be a photo of yourself in your avatar.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • DFA1979 ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Mag 24 2012, 14:03
    Excrementor said:
    Not the case, I've reported a particular unofficial image numerous times now and though some were removed, one remains. I'm fairly sure that a band member is fairly qualified to say what is official or not!?

They are, but 'unofficial' doesn't mean 'unacceptable according to last.fm guidelines'. What did you report the image for?

liftarn said:

But the way that a band/artist is portrayed is surely down to the artists themselves? Not everyone wants their face all over the internet... Some people have no understanding or respect towards aesthetic... I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to upload images, but if a particular band/artist wants the option, surely that is their right?
    I don't think that complaint was about 'aesthetic', but about the fact many artists have very low quality images uploaded as official. There, I mean low quality in a technical sense (compression artefacts, for example), rather than artistic. Higher quality versions of the same image are often available and uploaded by users, but hidden because the artist/label only uploads a jpg that was optimised for file size rather than image quality.

• Schander ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mag 24 2012, 17:23
    Excrementor said:
    Schander said:

That's a pretty dumb comment, considering no-one has a choice in having a last.fm page.

What? As an artist you mean? I really don't get what the big deal is... if you don't want your stuff to get out on the interwebz, then don't start a band. Or are you in one of those cvlt black metal bands that despises recognition and desperately wants to stay underground? If someone started a fan page on a private domain (or a group on Farcebook, or whatever the hell they call it over there), you'd want to get rid of that too?

• I just want to remind about more artists on one page.

If you can do separation especially for japanese, korean and chinese artists which can be used with their kanji, hangul signs as name instead of alphabet.
    and to set their official label on those pages, so we can listen properly albums.

first I am talking about such bands as japanese: Pierrot, Angelo..

Mou modorenakute, torimodosenakute, ushinata mono ga awari ni o osugite ,...
Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.