Forum » Web Site Support

New auto-corrections imported

• Kwaxus ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 14 2009, 17:25
    Ehm, I know the guidelines, I've been editing on musicbrainz for 3 years now. I just wanted to state the fact that last.fm's got wrong redirects.

I thought this topic used to be a place to flag wrong auto-corrections (which is the most absurdal thing existing as these were introduced to improve last.fm), so that moderators/admins/whoever could reverse it.

I haven't been tracking this topic, so if something has changed, give me a hint, please.

• fmera ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Giu 15 2009, 7:06
    also see here. it would explain the recent cases.

U.G.L.Y. - changing the face of music, one artist at a time.
    there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
  • Song Error

Instead of playing "Pernice Brothers – Clear Spot" Last.fm is currently playing a piece of classical music (that sounds like a 20th century soundtrack).

This has been noted by a number of commenters but has not yet been changed.

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Lug 1 2009, 0:23
    Added to the journal. Join the Boulevard of Broken Streams if you want to help.

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Lug 2 2009, 19:30
    How often and how are auto-correction imported?

• auto-correction does not work on my page inspite of the option is "on" in my settings. Hope it's temporary.

• ssp ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Lug 13 2009, 13:00

Auto-correcting apostrophes/quotes?

I have the impression that last.fm could do with some work as far as the auto-correction of apostrophes and quote marks is concerned.

In most P2P/iTunes/CDDB given metadata tags ‘dumb’, i.e. ‘straight’ quotes ' or " are used. This is usually not the correct name of the song in question. Both because it looks ugly and because most cover art is created by sufficiently competent people to have the correct quote marks on there.

I guess last.fm should automatically merge the correct and ‘dumb quote’ versions of artist names, album and song titles. But it doesn’t.

It would make sense to spend a thought or two on this (taking a detour to take into account all the local variations of quote marks that could be used, perhaps), so the strings can be automatically corrected, normalised or otherwise identified. As about 10% of the tracks I have contain some sort of quote mark or apostrophe, this defies manual intervention and cries for a smart server.

• Bloopy ha detto...
    • Forum Moderator
    • Lug 13 2009, 21:17

Re: Auto-correcting apostrophes/quotes?

ssp said:
    i.e. ‘straight’ quotes ' or " are used. This is usually not the correct name of the song in question. Both because it looks ugly and because most cover art is created by sufficiently competent people to have the correct quote marks on there.
    Those have come up in discussion before. The thing is, MusicBrainz advocates the "straight" quotes for compatibility.

Cover art has nothing to do with the issue, because if the song title has an apostrophe then it has an apostrophe, whatever was typed or scribbled on the cover art. Personally, I think the real apostrophe is hideous in most fonts and it doesn't line up nicely. Some fonts make the "straight" typewriter apostrophe look like a nice apostrophe anyway. You might not even be able to tell which one was used on a particular cover artwork.

• Kwaxus ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Lug 25 2009, 21:33

Florence + The Machine !?

Florence + the Machine - Who the hell did that!?

For fuck's sake, it was decided long time ago on musicbrainz that Florence and The Machine is the correct name! Hello, why the hell you've got to mess everything up!?

• I try to use Musicbrainz but I find too often that their database is not up-to-date.

I also find that the name's of artists can vary from album to album.

• Kwaxus ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ott 19 2009, 21:41
    Vex'd - Function redirects without any reason to Vex'd - A Function. The same with the second song. A and B are sides of the vinyl, not the title :/

Sources:
    http://www.discogs.com/Vexd-Function/release/359006
    http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/vexd/function/ (cover)

• Bloopy ha detto...
    • Forum Moderator
    • Ott 19 2009, 21:51
    Kwaxus said:
    redirects without any reason
    It's not without reason. It's because more listeners have tagged the tracks wrong than right, so when Last.fm guessed the correct titles, it got them wrong.

• onno ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 7 2009, 16:44
    Angelkiller said:
    How many votes needs for a change? or is it % of users listening to the artist?
    how many times can i vote for a change? only one that counts?

I've been adding corrections on incorrect songtitles from my own library for months now. Some of them have so few listeners that I doubt other people will vote on them. But these redirections never take place. How can this be made possible?

" they said the classics never go out of style, but they do, they do "
    • Kwaxus ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 18 2009, 15:14
Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.